Question

Airtable personal access token instead of API key

• 26 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi there, 

I’m looking to connect Airtable and Zapier. Zapier’s current documentation suggests using an API key, but Airtable is phasing out API keys this year and replacing them with personal access tokens. Is there a way to use the Airtable personal access token with Airtable? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @CTD Staff 

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your interest in Zapier.

Right now, you’ll still need your API key so you can connect your Airtable account with Zapier.

You can refer to this article: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495995404173-How-to-Get-Started-with-Airtable-on-Zapier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CTD Staff 

Good question and valid concern.

I expect Zapier to update the Airtable app authentication method to support/transition to PATs closers to the switchover date.

In the meantime, you can use PATs with the Airtable API in Webhook or Code steps.

But will Zapier really update the authentication method? I can't find it anywhere, that they are planning to do so. 

It's quite a risk if they don't deliver, and data stops flowing 🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jjitss 

Airtable is one of the top Zap apps, so I’m guessing Zapier will address it in due time.

Also, a workaround is to use a Webhook or Code step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jjitss and @CTD Staff 

Email from Zapier:

You’re getting this e-mail because you requested updates on the OAuth/personal access token upgrade for our Airtable integration.

We have now launched a new version of Airtable, which supports OAuth2 connections! You'll need to connect a new Airtable account when creating a new Zap, even if you've connected that account in the past.