Best answer

Stripe Transaction Fee not updating in Airtable

Userlevel 1

I maintain an AirTable database of the different types of reservation transactions related to my company. This includes a field that imports the charged amount, a second field that *should* import the Stripe transaction fee, and AirTable maintains a third field that subtracts the transaction fee from the charged amount to give me the amount of income.

My Zap starts with a “New Charge in Stripe,” formats the client name, extracts and formats a couple fields to extract non-monetary reservation details, and ends with creating a new record in AirTable. The fields in this last step should take the reservation information (appointment date/time, customer name, charge amount, transaction fee, booking submission date/time, and assigned employee) and push all of that to AirTable.  Everything populates correctly in AirTable *except* the “Transaction Fee:” field from Stripe.

Is this a known issue when processing Stripe transactions in Zapier and pushing them to AirTable? I don’t see other references to this issue in the documentation here, but I’m all ears if there’s a workaround that has worked for other folks.

icon

Best answer by steph.n 17 June 2020, 02:42

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey! You mentioned that it’s not populating “correctly” - Is anything populating in the field?

Does it work when you test? 

Can you show a screenshot of your zap set-up?

Userlevel 1

Ah, yes, sorry. Good questions.  Yes, it tests just fine, but nothing populates when real bookings come in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hmmm - That’s so odd, if it tests correctly.

Some further troubleshooting questions:

1. Have you checked the field type in Airtable?
  2. Have you checked that your transactions do have a processing fee? 

If you’ve checked everything, and it’s still not coming through, I will flag with the community support team, who might be able to help where I, sadly cannot

Userlevel 1

The AirTable field type for “Processing Fee” is set to “Currency.”  And yes, these transactions do have a processing fee, I’m going in a couple times a day to refresh the Stripe screen and manually update these AirTable records for these small amounts.

I wholly admit that I’m a relative newbie to Zaps, so I may be overlooking something very basic. But to the best of my knowledge, this should be pushing Stripe transaction fees into the “Processing Fee” field, but isn’t. Any support you can flag on my behalf would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @ParuzalGames!

Can you do me a favor and check the Data Out tab for the Stripe trigger, in your Task History?

To do this:

1. Navigate to the Zaps page: https://zapier.com/app/zaps
  2. Click the downward arrow on the right-side of the Zap in question
  3. Click on Task History
  4. Find an item that succeeded and click on it
  5. On the Stripe step, click on the Data Out tab
  6. Look for the Transaction Fee field to see if it is either a) missing altogether or b) showing up in the Fields with no value section:

Can you check that then let me know what you find? Thanks!

Userlevel 1

I only show the last 11 instances of this Zap running. All of those failed and I have already entered the transaction fees for those transactions manually.  I can’t get new charges now (is there some kind of delay, only allowing me to import the 3 most recent transactions once per day or something?).  I’ve deleted the Transaction Fee line in AirTable from one of the 3 samples Zapier already imported 16 hours ago. I’m able to re-run that example through and it successfully updates AirTable’s field for Transaction Fee, but that doesn’t show up in the Task Log.

The only way I can produce a positive result would be to import a new set of 3, run them through the process manually, and output to AirTable at the end.  Would that be sufficient?  How long do I have to wait before I can re-run the “Load More” to get that sample data for you?

Userlevel 1

A few more bookings came in, none of them processed the Transaction Fee into AirTable’s “Processing Fee” field.  I was able to ingest the most recent three bookings as new sample data and step through the Zap which did result in pushing the Transaction Fee into the “Processing Fee” field, so that’s good.  But when I review the Task History list to follow your guidance here, the sample data I successfully pushed doesn’t show up in the list.

When I pull up the task history list, I can find the failed version of the Zap that I manually pushed through successfully.  In there, the Transfer Fee field is missing completely.  Does that help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ParuzalGames!

One quick point - if you’re testing a Zap, those wont show up in the task history. The task history shows what happens when your Zap is turned on and is triggered by whichever event triggers it (eg a new transaction in Stripe).

The new bookings that came in should have triggered the Zap if it was turned on at the time. Was the Zap on when you got the new transactions? If so, could you go to the task history and pull up one of those. Could you please confirm whether a) those tasks are there and if they are b) when you look at the Stripe task, is there a transaction fee there?

Finally, as far as I’m aware you should be able to pull in more than 3 samples per day, but I do know that it will only find recent samples.

Userlevel 1

@Danvers Yes, the Zap was on when bookings came in and the Zap was also on when I was testing it.

The Zap was on when transactions came in today. When I look at the Task History, today’s tasks exist (the other parts of the Zap got processed into AirTable just fine). In the Stripe task, there is no reference to a transaction fee field.

In a Stripe task from today, the word “transaction” appears only in the “Data Out” field under “Fields With No Value” and it’s “balance_transaction,” and not “transaction_fee” like I expect.

If I go down to the “Sent 1 new Record to Airtable” line, the “Data In” field shows only “fields__flde5SJ9qd32hnGCG: {}” but no such transaction fee on the “Data Out” tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @ParuzalGames - It’s been a while but we wanted to check back on this issue. That's great that you were able to get in touch with our Zapier Support. We think that the bug mentioned would be worth sharing to the rest of the community so here it is:

It does seem this is an issue affecting only single transactions, where the fee comes through in samples, but is not available when the Zap runs live. I have alerted our team in charge of this integration, so that they can review this issue further. While I can't provide an ETA for when this issue might be resolved, we will reach out to you via email once it is.

Userlevel 1

Hello, I just wanted to add I have exactly the same problem, but instead of importing the data to Airtable, I tried to import it to Google Sheet. I am missing only certain fields (including the Stripe Fee). I wasn’t told about a bug, support asked me if I changed anything in the sheet, and didn’t answer to my reply. I would like to be updated about any new in this matter, please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Jairo - I see our Support team has gotten back to you and the conversation is still going. Please continue chatting on that ticket. Thanks so much!

Userlevel 1

Hi @steph.n . That’s right, took a little long but conversations keep going. Thank you!

Userlevel 1

Hey @ParuzalGames ,

I’m Chelsey and I’m a Customer Champion here at Zapier! I wanted to pop in here and let you know about a nifty work around one of our other customers had for this Stripe issue! 

The Stripe Transaction/Processing Fees use a specific formula which varies based on country. If you know that formula, you can add a Formatter Step to your Zap using Formatter by Zapier ‘s Spreadsheet Formula option to calculate the Processing Fee based on the total charge provided by Stripe. For example, our other customer in Australia is charged 1.76%+.30 for each transaction. In this case, we could use a formula like this:

(view larger)

The formula likely depends on your country, so I would double check what that is and then you can use the above example to model your formula! From there, pass the output to whichever field/step you need the fee to be passed to!

Hope this helps!

Best, 

Chelsey

Hi @ParuzalGames - It’s been a while but we wanted to check back on this issue. That's great that you were able to get in touch with our Zapier Support. We think that the bug mentioned would be worth sharing to the rest of the community so here it is:

It does seem this is an issue affecting only single transactions, where the fee comes through in samples, but is not available when the Zap runs live. I have alerted our team in charge of this integration, so that they can review this issue further. While I can't provide an ETA for when this issue might be resolved, we will reach out to you via email once it is.

Has there been any update on this? Right now, I’m working on a pipeline to update QuickBooks and Airtable based on digital sales. The transaction fee is not part of the initial event from the Stripe webhook when it is first triggered. When I try to test the pipeline later, it appears because the transaction fee has been set on Stripe’s side. It’s not feasible for someone to manually go back to track each transaction fee that Stripe later applied. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Josh_bbr - I don’t see an update on this end but am adding you to this report which means the Zapier team will reach out with any updates!

Just chiming in that this is also happening to me, and it’s not really Zapier’s fault. Stripe has changed their API in a way that the transaction fee is very hard to find in the API. It is stored in the “balance” object, which is separate from the charge object. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @thsZac, welcome to the Community! 

Thanks for chiming in here, I’ve just added you to the list of affected users on the bug report. I don’t have an ETA but we’ll be in touch with you by email as soon as it’s resolved.

In the meantime, the workaround Chelsey mentioned above may be worth giving a try! :)

I'm also affected by this.
Have been waiting for a solutions for quite some time.

This keeps messing up our books.

Please note that user thsZac already points your developers straight to the issue and solution in his msg.
hope this can be solved soon.

Michiel

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out, @MichielC. I’ve got you added to the list of impacted users. We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop as soon as we know more. 

Userlevel 2

This is still an issue. Stripe support told me to contact Zapier. I did. The fee isn’t included in the payment or charge object anymore, so it’s not accessible in Zapier. I can understand though that most folks wouldn’t know where to look for it beyond those objects, nor would they look at Stripe’s documentation to realize that it’s in the balance object, so I assume this isn’t a priority for Zapier. @chelseychubb’s recommendation of using a formula to calculate your fee is probably the best route for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @joelataffirmation! You’re absolutely right, currently this is still an active bug. We’ll definitely be sure to keep ya’ll in the loop via email once there’s a fix in place.