Best answer

Where is the File Field Option?

• 8 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3

Once Zocuments has generated a document using Zapier, I wish to provide the available binary file to an Action Input for the user to proceed with in Zapier.

I only see the following options presented to me, File seems to be missing?

Screenshot from 2019-10-08 14-36-42.png

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by TheDavidJohnson 9 October 2019, 15:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @Zocuments, once the binary file has been created, what data is returned? For example, do you host the binary file at a specific URL and return the URL?

If so, then I think you would want to use a "text" input to allow for a string to be provided. Then the user building their Zap would need to connect the output from the document creation step so that the URL is provided to this Action step.

If you're not returning the URL to a hosted copy of the file, then you may need to use a deyhdration/hydration tool. There's a detailed example in the Platform docs under stashing files.

I've used something similar in a Zapier Code step to download a file from a Google Drive URL and feed it to the next step in a Zap, but since you're building an integration, it can be included directly in your code.

Userlevel 3

You're right @TheDavidJohnson, the URL returned from Zocuments can indeed be used in a subsequent Zapier step.

In my example, I was able to trigger an action and upload my document to Google Drive 👍️I'm sure others will have more creative uses!

Hey folks,

Just wanted to address the lack of "File" field type in the web builder. "File" field types are only available on the CLI version of the developer platform so if you need to set a file upload field in your integration, you'll need to set it up on CLI or migrate it across — it's not available on the web builder, partly because with files you're often doing file stashing and hydration which are much easier to implement in code in the CLI.