Question

Trigger Response Empty?

• 6 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I tried to search in many places, I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

I have created a trigger (without the cli).

In the subscribing time, I return back an array.

But zapier says “We couldn’t find a X”.

I even tried to send some mock data. Nothing works.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Nevo David - It seems that you’re building a Hook trigger. Have you tried checking the Monitoring section in the app dashboard to see what input the trigger is receiving and what it is returning after it runs?

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the answer @ikbelkirasan!

But it seems to be ok:

I even tried to modify to response with the codeeditor, and just return an array JSON.

But I am always getting this:

I almost threw my computer from the window today, so frustrating 🙈

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nevo David - Hmm when you click on Test trigger, it will make a call to Perform List. Did you implement it?

Userlevel 1

I didn’t, in every tutorial, it says to just return an array.

It’s working well with polls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes, just return an array of objects from Perform List when you’re testing so that Zapier can show you some samples when you click on Test trigger.

Userlevel 1

So, Why Zapier needs the array from the webhook request? Is it doing something with it? :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

In a Hook trigger, in addition to Subscribe and Unsubscribe, you’ll have to implement both Perform and Perform List.

• Perform: This runs when the zap is turned on and the webhook URL is called.
  • Perform List: This one is called when you click on Test trigger in the zap editor.

Hope this helps :)

Userlevel 1

Perform is just for data transformation right? I don’t have to prepare an end-point for it.

Perform List, Gotcha!

One last thing.

Do I need to return an array from the Subscribe endpoint? and if yes, why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

​​​​​​No, you don’t need to return an array from Subscribe.

Yes, Perform is used to transform the webhook payload that was received from your system. So, it doesn’t actually have to make any API request unless you want to fetch extra information and include it in the trigger response.

Userlevel 1

Thank you @ikbelkirasan, Great help!