Question

Log Twilio SIP Call to Google Sheet and send to SIP Trunk FreePBX

• 26 April 2022
  • 0 replies

Hi Zapier community!

We configure our phone numbers in Twilio to handle Voice Calls with a SIP Trunk that goes to our FreePBX server in our office.

My goal is to log all calls to a Google Sheet when they are completed. I have tried to set this up two ways:

1. Configure the Twilio number with: Webhook. Point the incoming call to a Google Apps Script to log the call, then return TwiML to forward the call to my cell phone. This works to log the call to the Google Sheet, but then we cannot use our office FreePBX phone system to take the call since it is configured with Webhook rather than SIP Trunk (and forwarded to my cell).

Here is that Google Apps Script code:

function doGet(args) {
var spreadsheetID = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx';

// Create a date object for the current date and time.
var now = new Date();
now = Utilities.formatDate(now, 'America/Chicago', 'yyyy-MM-dd\'T\'HH:mm:ss');

//Incoming parameters from Twilio. Documentation here: https://www.twilio.com/docs/voice/twiml
var callStatus = args.parameter.CallStatus;
var callerName = args.parameter.CallerName;
var fromNumber = args.parameter.From;
var toNumber = args.parameter.To;
var callDirection = args.parameter.Direction;

SpreadsheetApp.openById(spreadsheetID).appendRow([now, callStatus, callerName, fromNumber, toNumber, callDirection]);

var text = ContentService.createTextOutput("<Response><Dial>+14055991234</Dial></Response>").setMimeType(ContentService.MimeType.XML);
return text;

}

Again, this logs the call, but does not subsequently handle it with a Twilio SIP Trunk.

2. A Zapier trigger event for Twilio "New Call". This provides me a Webhook URL and the following instructions:

"Set up your Callback URL! Log into Twilio and visit your incoming numbers page, edit the number you want to trigger on, and paste the below URL into Call Status Changes. Click save!"

In order to place the Webhook URL into the Call Status Changes box in Twilio, the number must be configured with Webhooks, but we are configuring with SIP Trunk. So I don't know how to use SIP Trunk with our numbers and also use a Webhook for the Call Status Changes so I can log the calls to a Google Sheet.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you, Doug Williams

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.