Best answer

Is it possible to get previous steps data from an action programmatically from a Zapier platform application?

• 1 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi.

I’m building a Zapier application that has an action where the operation’s fields are dynamic fields that reference to other triggers, and then the results returned by the other triggers are injected in the z.bundle.inputData object so the subsequent triggers can use that user input data.

However I would like to create a dynamic input field that points to a trigger that not only has access to the input data given by previous dynamic fields, but also it has access to the previous actions data, if the data is not possible maybe the metadata would be fine too.

Is this even possible?

Thank you very much.

icon

Best answer by jgldev 19 October 2021, 08:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 1

am also looking for the same use case, any update on the question?

Userlevel 1

I’ve contacted support last week again and yesterday I got finally an answer. Here is their reply:

Thanks for reaching out! Happy to lend a hand there.

To clarify there, it looks like you'd like to do the following:

• Set up one field (Document ID)
  • Dynamically generate another field's results (Select the Value)
  • Allow users to insert a field from a previous step into the Document ID field
  • Finally, dynamically generate the "Select the Value" field's results based on that inserted field from a previous step

Is that accurate?

If so, unfortunately that's not possible to set up due to a limitation of the Zapier platform. As you have seen, in this case, the field from the previous step is not able to be "resolved" into a value to dynamically generate the values for the following field - instead, it comes through as brackets and the ID of the previous step.

An alternative here would be to allow users to insert whatever they'd like into that "Select a Value" field, but add some error handling that returns a descriptive error if what they inserted isn't a viable value for that particular document's field.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience here! We do have an open feature request for this functionality, so I've gone ahead and added your vote to the subscribe list for this feature. While I can't say for certain when this will get added, that will make sure we'll let you know as soon as it is! 

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this, I'd be happy to help if so.

So finally, this is cannot be achieved yet.

Userlevel 1

I’ve contacted support last week again and yesterday I got finally an answer. Here is their reply:

Thanks for reaching out! Happy to lend a hand there.

To clarify there, it looks like you'd like to do the following:

• Set up one field (Document ID)
  • Dynamically generate another field's results (Select the Value)
  • Allow users to insert a field from a previous step into the Document ID field
  • Finally, dynamically generate the "Select the Value" field's results based on that inserted field from a previous step

Is that accurate?

If so, unfortunately that's not possible to set up due to a limitation of the Zapier platform. As you have seen, in this case, the field from the previous step is not able to be "resolved" into a value to dynamically generate the values for the following field - instead, it comes through as brackets and the ID of the previous step.

An alternative here would be to allow users to insert whatever they'd like into that "Select a Value" field, but add some error handling that returns a descriptive error if what they inserted isn't a viable value for that particular document's field.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience here! We do have an open feature request for this functionality, so I've gone ahead and added your vote to the subscribe list for this feature. While I can't say for certain when this will get added, that will make sure we'll let you know as soon as it is! 

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this, I'd be happy to help if so.

So finally, this is cannot be achieved yet.

Thank you so much for saving my time and effort. so then I will add validation when it save on the server if the selection is not proper.