Question

How do I integrate Zapier with company private internal custom built CMS

• 4 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am the developer of a custom CMS which we use. I would like to be able to have some of the zapier components talk with our private company CMS in order to perform simple functions i.e query out CMS to see if a facebook lead from zapier already exists within our CMS prior to performing other functions on the zapier side with it., etc.

From the research which I’ve done I have come up with other questions which I’m hoping can be answered:

-1- webhooks and/or an API can be created on my side, the easiest is the webhook but my understanding is that webhooks cannot return data to zapier, i.e. if I was wanted to return a true or false value for if a lead already existed I would not be able to get this answer using a webhook and would then need to to create a API instead, is this correct?

-2- no static ip or ip ranges are used on the zapier side when calling to an api, or webhook, therefore it would be impossible for me to limit connections to my API or Webhook to just one or several ip ranges. if this is the case what is the recommended approach for me to use to limit exposure to hack attacks, etc

-3-what type of zapier user account do I need to make use of our API or webhook, do I need a premium account?

-4- I only want our API to be used and exposed to a set of given users and have it private not public to everyone, what is the best approach to accomplishing this?

Anyway suggestions about the above or anything else would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RobDob 

Good questions.

The Zapier Developer Platform can be used to create private app integrations: https://developer.zapier.com/

Otherwise, these apps in Zaps can be used to interact with an app’s API/webhooks:

###

1. Webhooks and/or an API can be created on my side, the easiest is the webhook but my understanding is that webhooks cannot return data to Zapier, i.e. if I was wanted to return a true or false value for if a lead already existed I would not be able to get this answer using a webhook and would then need to to create a API instead, is this correct?
    1. The general purpose of a webhook is to send a data payload from a source app to destination app when an event happens in the source app.
    2. An app’s API can be use for HTTP REST methods: GET, POST, PATCH, PUT, DELETE, which can be used to interact with database CRUD operations: Create, Read, Update, Delete
    3. Zapier has a Webhooks app that has both triggers/actions.
  2. No static IP or IP ranges are used on the Zapier side when calling to an API, or webhook, therefore it would be impossible for me to limit connections to my API or Webhook to just one or several IP ranges. If this is the case what is the recommended approach for me to use to limit exposure to hack attacks, etc
    1. Zapier Supported Authentication Schemes
  3. What type of Zapier user account do I need to make use of our API or webhook, do I need a premium account?
    1. Zapier plans and features: https://zapier.com/app/billing/plans
    2. If you are using the private app integration in a Zap, then it will depend on certain factors:
      1. Volume
      2. Zap steps
      3. Other apps in the Zap
  4. I only want our API to be used and exposed to a set of given users and have it private not public to everyone, what is the best approach to accomplishing this?
    1. A private Zap app integration can be build on the Zapier Developer Platform.