Best answer

Dynamic fields in Search Actions with GraphQL API

• 3 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

My team is working on build it’s own application which communicates with our public APIs that are written in GraphQL. Our triggers (backed by Webhooks) often contain very lightweight payloads. As a result, we foresee clients having the need to create a step to run a Search Action back to our API to grab additional information about the record in question before passing it on to the next step. 

The question I have is whether there exists any methodology to presenting and allowing the customer to choose which fields in GraphQL they would like returned in the response of the search action? Right now we have this hardcoded in the outputFields property of the operation in our source code for the Zapier app.

Are there any options here or people who have worked around this with GraphQL?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by ikbelkirasan 5 April 2021, 11:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @JaredTibs - You might want to add a dynamic dropdown field that accepts multiple values. The values should be fetched from the API based on the record type. This way, the user will be able to select a list of the fields they need.

While this may be doable, I would suggest selecting the fields internally in the search step then return all of them to make it easier for the user to set up their zap. Hope this makes sense.

Userlevel 1

@ikbelkirasan Appreciate the response and insight!

We’re going to consider our options and maybe proceed with that approach as a solution!

Cheers