Question

Can't turn on Zap despite successful test

• 27 March 2022
  • 2 replies

I am building a Zapier app for a SaaS product and have been fumbling through it. There seems to be a lot of vagueness around how the zap system works. For example, 

I have my App configured with OAuth 2.0. The authentication works fine; the perform list action is working. I can fully set up a zap with a Zapier Email action sending bits of the payload to myself in an email for a test. However, when I try to enable it, the zap turns itself off. 

The Zap’s change history shows my it was Zap Version Published, then Zap enabled, followed by: “Zap disabled due to a system or configuration error.”. There is no indication of why.

I check my server logs and the only thing odd to me is that the subscribe API endpoint was called twice. both times providing a target URL for the zap but each with a different domain: one with just https://zapier.com the other with https://hooks.zapier.com

I have an email out to support but I’m hoping someone here can give me some insight. I paid for a premier account because their pricing listed Premier Support but I’m not seeing any other contact method besides email. I guess maybe they just answer faster. Truthfully email-only support with this sort of development is disappointing. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

> I check my server logs and the only thing odd to me is that the subscribe API endpoint was called twice.

I think this is the Zap editor hitting it during Zap setup, and then again when the Zap is actually enabled. 

Support will be able to look at your logs and account and provide a more solid answer, but one thing I’d look at is this - if your trigger step throws an error on its first poll, Zapier may shut it down assuming it’s misconfigured.  I ran into this a while back myself in a trigger where I was mistakenly throwing an error when data wasn’t found. And it was an endpoint where that was a pretty normal state. Zap enabled and immediately shut off, just like you’re describing. May or may not be your issue - just tossing that out there.

Hey @Zane
I managed to resolve this issue and had forgotten I opened this ticket. 

The problem was that my Application server was responding with a basic 200 success and not a JSON payload. 

I updated the response to include a JSON payload with status, and everything began working as expected. I wish the development docs defined what Zapier expects in response to these endpoints, but I worked it out.