Best answer

API Key authentication issue with accessing authData

Userlevel 1

Hey!

I am trying to “upgrade” our Zapier integration, and when doing so I have been using the Form mode over the Code mode. Now for some reason my authentication fails when using the authentication in the other triggers which used to work.

As you can see from the screenshot below, the authentication is successful:

Testing authentication

However, when I use the same account and test a trigger to poll another similar resource I get this error:

Polling Trigger request fails

I have no clue why this happens. It seems like it not able to access the token stored in bundle.authData, it should be able to right?

icon

Best answer by nikolai 22 June 2020, 12:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey - Are you formatting your token properly - I’ve never seen auth that required

Token token=

Just a thought, as it was the first thing that stood out

Userlevel 1

Hey - Are you formatting your token properly - I’ve never seen auth that required

Token token=

Just a thought, as it was the first thing that stood out

Thanks for the clue Saastronomical, I think there are multiple things going on here, and this was one of the issues. However, there is still something off and it is not working just yet.

For instance, I have converted Form into Code like this and removed the Authorization header because this endpoint is public.

However, this is the response I am getting, and it is indicating that the Authorization header was sent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yeah - There’s definitely something wrong with your token - I also don’t see what’s bring brought in here - Are you passing a value here?

Userlevel 1

In the 2 screenshots in my last post I am actually not passing in any token, but the request triggered by Step 2 of API Configuration looks like it is appending the Authorization header, leading me to believe that the code form is not respected.

Userlevel 1

Yeah - There’s definitely something wrong with your token - I also don’t see what’s bring brought in here - Are you passing a value here?

These values are captured in the API Authentication setup, both token and subdomain. The interesting thing is that it works successfully in the API configuration of the Auth step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But it’s saying that you’re passing through the token in the wrong format - It’s expecting a hashed string, yet you’re sending through a very different format

Userlevel 1

But it’s saying that you’re passing through the token in the wrong format - It’s expecting a hashed string, yet you’re sending through a very different format

Very interesting.

The response is coming back from the API, meaning that Zapier is passing in the obfuscated value instead of the actual token and prefix :thinking:

Userlevel 1

What is going on.. Why is “Token token=” passed in when the request in the Code Form doesn’t add any Authorization header?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@nikolai 

Sorry we missed this followup!

Did you get this sorted or are you still having issues?

Userlevel 1

Hi @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu,

I appreciate that you got back to me!

I did not get it to work, so instead of upgrading some of the parts from legacy to “modern” Zapier, I decided to just use the old legacy version we have and patch it.

In the future I think the right path for us will be to completely rewrite the app, however, it requires some back-end work on our side as we don’t have apis that match what Zapier expects as far as I can see.

Thank you :)