Question

Webhook POST Running several Times

• 24 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello! 

my Zap is doing a Webhook POST request to another API. The API takes a couple of seconds to respond and therefore the POST request is sent multiple times, trying to get a response from the other service. the other service logs reflects a response time of 0.85sec or 0.90sec

This behavior causes duplicates in the database of the other service, because the same request is sent 2-3 times due the slow response time

Is there a way to prevent the request to be send multiple times?

I found this answer from a previous post… but besides directing where might be the issue, there is no example or advice for solution… Can anyone help?

Best answer by Danvers

It sounds like the webhook is waiting for a successful response from the API that it’s sending to. Are you able to take a look at the logs of the API that the Zap is sending to to see what responses it’s giving and it what timeframe?

One thing to remember is that the timeout for getting a response from a webhook is 37ms, so if the API isn’t responding in that time, that will likely be why the Zap is attempting to send the webhook multiple times. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Maury!

This is a tricky one, because it’s not possible to change the timeout time for the Webhooks by Zapier app, so I can’t think of a way to workaround this that way. 

It may be possible to find a way to mitigate this if you use Zapier Platform to develop a custom integration for the database to which you’re sending the data. I’m not super familiar with the Platform so if you decide that might be an option for you, you may want to ask in the Developer Discussion category if it’s possible to either change the time out or limit the number of times a webhook is sent when you build an integration. I hope that helps!