Question

Custom field missing from webhook to LearnUpon

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Beginner
  • 19 replies

This post was split from the topic: New Custom Field Not Showing

I hate to revive a dead thread but we’re switching to another CRM and are having the same issue - it’s bringing over everything in the GET step EXCEPT for the date of birth (which is the newest field and the one we were struggling with originally)

Any tips??? I’ve done everything we tried previously. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the field id number (55700) from the GET step, is it possible to use that in the mapping of the next step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @CTC! Hope you don’t mind but I split this follow-up question out into a new thread to help increase it’s visibility in Community to help ensure you’re able to get it answered quicker! 🙂

It sounds like the issue here is that in your new CRM action, you’re unable to select date of birth field from the Webhook action, is that right?

You mentioned that the webhook is bringing over everything except the date of birth field. I know you were working with a birthdate field previously, was that field renamed or is the date of birth field a brand new field? If it’s a new field, I wonder if the old test which was successful, happened before the date of birth field was added? If so you’d need to run a new test in the Zap to see the newly added field. Then you should be able to select it.

Alternatively, if the field is coming in on the Webhook step but it doesn’t have a value for the date of birth? Which sounds like it might be the case as you also mentioned that you’re seeing a field number for it (55700). If it doesn’t have a value present for that field then try running a test for a different user who definitely has a value in that date of birth field. That way there should be a date of birth present in the field which you can pass to the CRM. 

If I’m way off base here please let me know! Also, any screenshots you can share to better explain the issue would be greatly appreciated (remember to remove/hide any private information like names, emails from them first). We can’t look into your Zaps, so screenshots can help to give more context. And better allow us to spot what might be causing the issue here.

We’ll keep an eye out for your response! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @CTC! Hope you don’t mind but I split this follow-up question out into a new thread to help increase it’s visibility in Community to help ensure you’re able to get it answered quicker! 🙂

It sounds like the issue here is that in your new CRM action, you’re unable to select date of birth field from the Webhook action, is that right?

You mentioned that the webhook is bringing over everything except the date of birth field. I know you were working with a birthdate field previously, was that field renamed or is the date of birth field a brand new field? If it’s a new field, I wonder if the old test which was successful, happened before the date of birth field was added? If so you’d need to run a new test in the Zap to see the newly added field. Then you should be able to select it.

Alternatively, if the field is coming in on the Webhook step but it doesn’t have a value for the date of birth? Which sounds like it might be the case as you also mentioned that you’re seeing a field number for it (55700). If it doesn’t have a value present for that field then try running a test for a different user who definitely has a value in that date of birth field. That way there should be a date of birth present in the field which you can pass to the CRM. 

If I’m way off base here please let me know! Also, any screenshots you can share to better explain the issue would be greatly appreciated (remember to remove/hide any private information like names, emails from them first). We can’t look into your Zaps, so screenshots can help to give more context. And better allow us to spot what might be causing the issue here.

We’ll keep an eye out for your response! 

Thanks!

The webhook actually stopped bringing over birthday information when we edited the original zap and set up the new one. The field isn’t new from the last time we worked on it and I went back through step by step to try and get it to work again. 

There is a value in the test data on the test person and it’s formatted correctly (as a date). There are other fields I can map without a value being included. I attached a screenshot of the custom fields page from LearnUpon and the Zap where you’ll see it’s just not registering the field as a field - only as a field label. I left some of the birthdate visible so you can confirm there is text in the field. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CTC 

Good question.

What Zap trigger step are you using?

Have you tried adding this Zap action as step 2 to see if it will return the date of birth field value?

Action: LearnUpon - User Search

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @CTC 

Good question.

What Zap trigger step are you using?

Have you tried adding this Zap action as step 2 to see if it will return the date of birth field value?

We’re using course completion as the trigger step. I don’t see that as an option for us. The only trigger option for us is enrollment completion. 

Do you mean to say we need to add this as another step? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CTC 

Yes, have you tried that?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@CTC

I’ll give it a shot - I’m trying to avoid it using more tasks. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@CTC

I’ll give it a shot - I’m trying to avoid it using more tasks. 

Unless I’ve set it up wrong it’s not even testing. 

I put it between enrollment completion trigger (step 1) and the Webhooks GET step and the test returns nothing - I can only search by email.

I also tried it after the GET step and still nothing. I’m not truly sure what it’s supposed to accomplish. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CTC 

Sometimes not all the data points are returned in the Zap trigger, thus the need to add another search step to see if that will return all the data points for the record.

We’d need to see detailed screenshots with how your new Zap step is configured in order to be able to evaluate and advise, thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not sure I was able to capture all of the information needed? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CTC 

This appears to be dummy data provided by the LU Zap trigger.

So if there is no matching email address in LU, then the resulting error is valid.

You can try changing the Zap trigger data to see if you can pull in real data to test with: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

Or you can remove the mapped variable and input a static email address that you exists AND has a date of birth field populated to see if that’s returned in the data payload.

Then make sure to change it back to a dynamic mapped variable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@CTC

This appears to be dummy data provided by the LU Zap trigger.

So if there is no matching email address in LU, then the resulting error is valid.

You can try changing the Zap trigger data to see if you can pull in real data to test with: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

Or you can remove the mapped variable and input a static email address that you exists AND has a date of birth field populated to see if that’s returned in the data payload.

Then make sure to change it back to a dynamic mapped variable.

I cannot pull any other test data - I’ve tried those steps many times. 

I’ll give the second thing a shot.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I tried the second thing but it immediately breaks the Zap when I put back in the mapped variable. (It works with a manually inputted email)

Breaks as in, is unpublishable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CTC 

We’d need to see screenshots in order to evaluate and advise.

When you searched with a static value for an email that had the date of birth field populated was the date of birth field returned so that you can map it following Zap steps?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@CTC

We’d need to see screenshots in order to evaluate and advise.

When you searched with a static value for an email that had the date of birth field populated was the date of birth field returned so that you can map it following Zap steps?

Yes, everything was mappable - I thought I could even remove the GET step but got the same result with and without it after I changed the email back. 

These are when I manually entered an email:

This was after I put the mappable field back: The fact it can’t be found is expected but then it unmaps the fields.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CTC 

1. Simply click the [Skip test] button.
  2. Turn the Zap ON.
  3. Test with live data.
  4. Check your Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/
  5. Check the results of the other Zap steps in those apps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That worked! I had to bypass the test to allow me to publish and just forgot that. 

Bonus for me is that it didn’t add any more tasks to the existing number!