Best answer

New Custom Field Not Showing

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Beginner
  • 19 replies

I currently have a Zap that pulls data from LearnUpon and sends it to our CRM Clarity Soft - we have a GET step to pull over the custom data from LU.

I added a new custom field in LearnUpon and it has not populated. I’ve reconnected our connection several times and attempted to refresh the fields in each step but I’m getting an error that says the data cannot be retrieved which is weird because the Zap is currently working just fine.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 2 February 2023, 22:57

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @CTC! Sorry for the trouble here! Am I understanding correctly that you’re using a webhook as your Trigger? If so, are you able to share the field/field type of the field not populating along with the webhook documentation so we can take a look? Let us know!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @CTC! Sorry for the trouble here! Am I understanding correctly that you’re using a webhook as your Trigger? If so, are you able to share the field/field type of the field not populating along with the webhook documentation so we can take a look? Let us know!

The webhook is not the trigger, a course completion in LearnUpon is the trigger, the webhook is simply being used to GET the custom field info. 

I hope I answer this correctly, but the field type I’m trying to bring in is a birthday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @CTC

Just so I can make sure I’m understanding correctly here, you’re using the Enrollment Course Completion (LearnUpon) trigger but it’s not giving any information within the custom fields so you’re using a Webhook GET request to pull those details, right?

Can I also check where you’re seeing that the “the data cannot be retrieved” error? If you can send over a screenshot to help show where you’re seeing that error appear that would be super helpful.

Also, was the custom field was added before or after the Zap was set up? If it was added after the Zap was set up, I wonder if pulling in a new test sample might allow the Zap to see the new custom field that was added. If that’s the case did you want to give that a try and let us know if that does the trick?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @CTC

Just so I can make sure I’m understanding correctly here, you’re using the Enrollment Course Completion (LearnUpon) trigger but it’s not giving any information within the custom fields so you’re using a Webhook GET request to pull those details, right?

Can I also check where you’re seeing that the “the data cannot be retrieved” error? If you can send over a screenshot to help show where you’re seeing that error appear that would be super helpful.

Also, was the custom field was added before or after the Zap was set up? If it was added after the Zap was set up, I wonder if pulling in a new test sample might allow the Zap to see the new custom field that was added. If that’s the case did you want to give that a try and let us know if that does the trick?

We are getting our previous custom fields via webhooks - they’re just not updating to reflect the new fields. 

I’ve added the screenshot below. and I would have to agree with you in the last paragraph except that’s where I’m having issues. It will not pull new test data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks so much for getting back to me here @CTC

Ah, the Enrollment Course Completion trigger is an instant trigger. This means that in order to pull in a new test sample, you’d need to complete a course in LearnUpon, then head back to the Zap and click the Load more button (under the Test trigger section) to bring in the recently completed course data in as a new sample. That should hopefully then allow the Zap to see the missing custom fields in that sample.

I’m not certain whether this will also fix the error you’re seeing in the Webhooks by Zapier action (it might if the user referenced in the current sample no longer exists), but if not, could you share a screenshot of the setup of the webhook? I’m hoping that will allow us to spot what might be causing the error. 

Looking forward to your reply, I’m keen to help get this sorted! 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks so much for getting back to me here @CTC

Ah, the Enrollment Course Completion trigger is an instant trigger. This means that in order to pull in a new test sample, you’d need to complete a course in LearnUpon, then head back to the Zap and click the Load more button (under the Test trigger section) to bring in the recently completed course data in as a new sample. That should hopefully then allow the Zap to see the missing custom fields in that sample.

I’m not certain whether this will also fix the error you’re seeing in the Webhooks by Zapier action (it might if the user referenced in the current sample no longer exists), but if not, could you share a screenshot of the setup of the webhook? I’m hoping that will allow us to spot what might be causing the error. 

Looking forward to your reply, I’m keen to help get this sorted! 🙂

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

I’ve done that - and I receive the same error. The user in the test data doesn’t exist and I’m not sure if that’s related or how to change that?

The webhooks are set up identically in all of our zaps (The relevant ones) and again they are working just fine - they’re simply not updating to show the new fields. 

To clarify; We added a custom field in LearnUpon for Birthdate and I want to use our Zap to bring the data over to our CRM services and the field simply does not show as an option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sharing that helpful screenshot here, @CTC. 🙂

Did you manage to select a new sample on the trigger or did it still say it still couldn’t find any new enrollments completed?

It looks like the user_id parameter just has the word “value” instead of the actual ID for the user you’re looking for. So I’d suggest selecting the User ID field from the LearnUpon trigger like you’ve done in the URL field:

a4cc7b8000d6cb18135107ec90dd0628.png

Even after making that change, as the user in the test sample isn’t a real user it will likely still error when testing. But when the Zap is switched on, it should ensure that the webhook has an ID for a real user, which should prevent the error going forward. I’d suggest making that change, turn on the Zap, then complete a course in LearnUpon to make sure that error definitely won’t appear when the Zap runs. 

Please do give that a try and keep us in the loop on how it goes!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for sharing that helpful screenshot here, @CTC. 🙂

Did you manage to select a new sample on the trigger or did it still say it still couldn’t find any new enrollments completed?

It looks like the user_id parameter just has the word “value” instead of the actual ID for the user you’re looking for. So I’d suggest selecting the User ID field from the LearnUpon trigger like you’ve done in the URL field:

a4cc7b8000d6cb18135107ec90dd0628.png

Even after making that change, as the user in the test sample isn’t a real user it will likely still error when testing. But when the Zap is switched on, it should ensure that the webhook has an ID for a real user, which should prevent the error going forward. I’d suggest making that change, turn on the Zap, then complete a course in LearnUpon to make sure that error definitely won’t appear when the Zap runs. 

Please do give that a try and keep us in the loop on how it goes!

No, I have not been able to select any new data. 

I changed the ‘value’ spot to the user_id item and was still given the ‘failed to find user’ error. 

Because I can’t ‘test’ the webhooks section, I can’t accurately map my fields. It brings over data with the existing information but I’m not able to update the hooks. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

While I’m glad the Zap is still functioning and bringing over new and updated contacts despite not being able to find a user to test with - I’m really frustrated that none of the fields have updated in the mapping. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

As you can see, my existing mapping shows as an error and nothing new can even be found. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That sounds really frustrating, @CTC!

As I’m hopping into this thread, can I check that I’ve understood the issue? 

You were using a webhooks step to get additional information from LearnUpon, based on the userID found in the trigger and it was working. Then you added a new custom field and tried to get that field through the webhook as well, but when you tested the webhook step it no longer worked? Is that right? 

If that’s the case, in order to test the Webhooks step, I wonder if it would work if you manually enter a user ID that you know definitely exists in LearnUpon? By manually enter, I mean literally type the ID into the Zap editor in the relevant places. If the webhooks step worked before, I would expect that will find you a user that you can then use to map the rest of the fields in the Zap. When you’ve done that, go back to the Webhooks step, remove the ID that you manually typed and add the user ID from the trigger (as it’s set up now). Don’t then re-test the webhooks step, skip the test and see if the Zap works when it’s running live. 

I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1
Badge

That sounds really frustrating, @CTC!

As I’m hopping into this thread, can I check that I’ve understood the issue? 

You were using a webhooks step to get additional information from LearnUpon, based on the userID found in the trigger and it was working. Then you added a new custom field and tried to get that field through the webhook as well, but when you tested the webhook step it no longer worked? Is that right? 

If that’s the case, in order to test the Webhooks step, I wonder if it would work if you manually enter a user ID that you know definitely exists in LearnUpon? By manually enter, I mean literally type the ID into the Zap editor in the relevant places. If the webhooks step worked before, I would expect that will find you a user that you can then use to map the rest of the fields in the Zap. When you’ve done that, go back to the Webhooks step, remove the ID that you manually typed and add the user ID from the trigger (as it’s set up now). Don’t then re-test the webhooks step, skip the test and see if the Zap works when it’s running live. 

I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

That’s what’s happening, yes.

I just tried entering a manual id under the ‘webhooks’ step and it worked! Updated the fields and everything. 

Definitely not something I would have natively thought to try. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh that’s so good to hear, @CTC! Stoked Danvers recommendation did the trick. ⚡️