Best answer

Zoom New Recording Trigger Doesn't Wait Until Transcription Is Complete

Userlevel 1

I have been using a Zap to download recording from Zoom for a couple of years now.  It works, except that when the Zap triggers the recordings are available for download but the Transcript is not.  So I end up getting the download links for the video/audio/timeline, but the transcript is not part of the recording_files list when the Zap runs.  If I test the zap later on, it will then show the Transcript as part of the list.  

I don’t believe that adding a delay will help me out here since the first step already ran and it already compiled the list of recording_files.

Is there any way the trigger for “New Recording” can wait until the transcript is ready for download so that I can include that in the download files?

icon

Best answer by ken.a 17 May 2023, 09:05

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @zappyzapman,

I understand that you mentioned adding a delay step may not be the solution, but I just want to double-check since the "New Recording in Zoom" trigger is an instant trigger. With an instant trigger, your app sends Zapier a notification instantly when new data becomes available. This may not allow the Zoom integration enough time to generate the transcript.

To test this, can you please try adding a delay step of 15 minutes and giving the "New Recording" trigger a little more time to generate the transcript data?

Please let me know if this works for you! 😊

Userlevel 1

I tried this out and in looking at the history of the Zap, it appears that it is building the recording file list at the time of the trigger.  Adding the delay step did not change what was included in the recording file list so the transcription file did not make the list and was not downloaded.

I think to fully solve this there would need to be a new trigger for “New Transcript Available” or an ability to query Zoom after the 15 minute delay so that the delayed transcript file could be found at that point.

I did notice there is a new action for “API Request (Beta)” but that feels pretty heavy.

Do you have any other ideas or things I could try?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @zappyzapman,

Thanks for trying it out.

I reviewed the Zoom app integration and we have an open feature request to add a "New Audio Transcript" trigger. The good news is you're not the first user to request the feature and it's on our radar. I’ve added your name to this request so we will be sure to reach out if this added feature ever makes it to production. 

In the meantime, there might be a workaround that you could try using the Catch Hook trigger with Webhooks by Zapier. This will give you a webhook URL that you can use to configure your Zoom account to send webhook notifications for "Recording transcript files have completed" events. You can find more information about how to set this up in the Zoom API documentation.

Just to be upfront, Webhooks by Zapier is considered an advanced feature, so our support for it may be more limited. Not because we don't want to help, but because APIs can be so different and each request can be so unique. This makes it hard for us to know why the request may be receiving errors or not working as expected. 

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

It looks like the Catch Hook trigger approach won’t work.

Zapier doesn’t support custom responses (https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288690317), and Zoom requires endpoint validation (https://developers.zoom.us/docs/api/rest/webhook-reference/#validate-your-webhook-endpoint).

I don’t see how I can get this to work, but happy to hear other ideas.  Hopefully the new feature comes through soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @zappyzapman,

I'm really sorry if the workaround I suggested isn't feasible for your situation. However, there's another option you might consider. You could hire an API developer to create a custom API tailored to your needs. We have a list of certified Zapier Experts who could be just the people you're looking for. You can find them here: Zapier Experts.

I apologize that I couldn't provide an immediate solution this time. Please know that we're here to help and support you in any way we can. 😊

Hi @ken.a, can you please also keep me updated on the status of the feature/bug?

Given the recent explosion of AI, I can imagine this is quite important to some people, as they’d like to run their transcriptions through GPT services.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @ryanheyscience,

I have added you as another interested member to the feature request. While we can’t provide an exact timeframe for the features implementation. We will let you know via email once it is implemented.

Thank you!

Just chiming in here to say I am also very interested in this feature! Hope that it will possible soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Crecord,

I have added your vote to the open feature request. We will let you know via email once the feature has been shipped.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Me 2 please 🙏

Btw as an alternative to new triggers, maybe you could develop a ‘refresh data’ step, which could then be used for any application to refresh the trigger data. (I’d imagine transcripts from zoom is not the only thing that might be available only after a certain delay...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Hypha,

I’m so sorry for my late reply.

I also added you to the open feature request. We will let you know via email once the feature has been implemented.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.