Best answer

Zapier Tables won't load new test data

• 11 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I have had loads of new entries in the Table, but for some reason when I go to load test data for a zap which is triggered by a new row added to the table, only the first 3 rows are showing as test data. I have tried clicking “find new records”but it keeps returning ‘’no more records found”. You can see in the screenshots below, there are more records in the table but only 3 records showing. The 3 records showing in the test data are the first 3 rows (1,2 and 3 from the table), but no matter what I do I can’t load the new test data.

12 records in the table
Only 3 records showing as test data

Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by SamB 18 October 2023, 14:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @Jason Baldwin! 👋

Ah, it won’t be able to load all the existing records/rows from the Zapier Table. The New Record trigger is an instant trigger which might be why you’re not seeing any additional records/rows here: 

08b890ddf518b4e12e11d11ce4b38372.png

It’s only able to see records that are added after you first open the Test section in the Trigger step. So with the test records for instant triggers you’ll need to click the Find new records button then, in another tab or browser window, perform the action that would trigger the Zap. In this case that would be to add a new record/row to the Zapier Table.

Can you give that a try a let us know if that allows you to then load in a new test record?

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried your suggestion above but there are still now new entries showing in the test data. I have added new entries to the table after setting up the Zap, and when I click ‘’find new records’’ it still only shows the first 3 records in the table. 

Basically, if i edit one of the existing 3 first rows in the table, it will then show the updated row as a new test entry D (see screenshot). But this is still not useful as not every entry as all the fields i need to successfully map the paramaters in my Zap. 

Entry D after editing an existing row

Note that Entry A and Entry D in the test data here are the same row in the table, but they are showing as two entries in the test data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me @Jason Baldwin.

Hmm, that’s very strange indeed. I just did some testing in Zapier Tables in my own account and you’re right. It looks like it’s only ever pulling from the top 3 rows. As you say, if you edit the top three rows it will pull in the rows again with the new information that’s in the row. In terms of mapping all the possible fields for the Zap I wonder if you could add a value into every field on the row so that each field comes through on the new test record that is pulled in? I’m thinking that way you’ll be able to select all the necessary fields in the Zap’s actions.

I’m not sure if it’s by design that it only ever looks at the top 3 rows or whether it’s a bug here but I’m unable to access the logs for the Zap to confirm. I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team about this. You can use this form to contact them. They’ll be able to investigate further and open up a bug report if it’s indeed a bug.

Please do keep us in the loop on how it goes, keen to ensure you’re all set here!

Thanks Sam, yeah this is exactly the problem I am finding. Awesome I will log a bug ticket now, and thanks for the advice on how to get around this mapping issue in the short term, I think this will work for now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are most welcome, @Jason Baldwin! Hopefully that workaround, though not ideal, will help to get things up and running for you in the meantime. 🤞

Userlevel 1

i have the same issue.  

stuck in a recurring loop where it only pulls the first three results, which is useless for me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear you’re running into the same issue, @Zachary Mobius.

I did some checking and seems Jason reached out to the Support team who opened up a bug report for this. So I’ve gone ahead and added you to the list of folks being impacted by this issue. We can’t make any promises around when that issue will be resolved but we’ll definitely be in touch by email to let you know when it’s fixed. 

In the meantime, it’s now possible to edit the data in test records! So I’m thinking that perhaps you could edit the test record data to match the values you need while testing and setting up your Zap. If that approach sounds good you can find out more about how to edit test record data here: Modify a trigger test record

Hope that helps! 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is really really frustrating. Seems like it’s a very old bug and nothing is being done to resolve it.

For me, I’m getting new records from NONE of my triggers. At best, I get “test records” that just give basic sample data that doesn’t help at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there folks! 👋

I’ve just checked on the bug report and it appears that it was since closed. 😁🎉 Sorry for the delayed update here! To confirm, any Zaps using the New Record (Zapier Tables) trigger will now pull in the newest records as new test records, not the oldest 3 records.

@xavierB - You mentioned that you are not able to get new records for any of your triggers. Are the triggers from the Zapier Tables app, or are you experiencing this issue with a different app’s triggers? If you can confirm what app and triggers you’re having this trouble with that’ll help to give us folks in Community here a bit more context so we can better assist on this.

Looking forward to hearing from you!