Question

Zapier suddenly adding people to Memberspace without paid plan

• 5 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a Zapier that ties to a Flodesk > Memberspace integration.

It suddenly started adding people to a Memberspace newsletter list that cancelled their plan years ago.

It is also adding people that created a profile in Memberspace, but didn't enter their card info or sign up for a plan yet.

How can I stop Zapier from adding to a list people who don’t have a paid plan?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @everythingislove 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post screenshots of these:

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Sure, I darkened out the lines with the private information and narrowed down the issue to the Updated Profile Zap - when an Active Member updates the email in their Memberspace account, it’ll update their email in Flodesk.

It seems Zapier is adding any new/old “Member Account” in Memberspace, regardless of whether their subscription is active. 

I’m currently on a Free plan.

DATA IN/OUT:

Now for the Zap Steps:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@everythingislove 

Perhaps you need to add a Filter as Step 2 in the Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Make sure to review the MemberSpace trigger descriptions.

Updated Member Profile — Happens when a member updates any part of their profile (e.g. name, email, custom sign up field).

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Thank you! That’s what I was thinking, though it is odd that is had been working without one for several years.

Adding a filter makes the zap a “multi-step zap,” which is part of their paid plan. 

We’ll have to consider upgrading. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @everythingislove,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

+1 to what Troy mentioned:

Updated Member Profile — Happens when a member updates any part of their profile (e.g. name, email, custom sign up field).

Have you tried using the “New Membership” trigger instead? This trigger will trigger when a member is added to a plan:

ad24c2e223d88f22b49b7a6b26a47bde.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this helps.

Userlevel 1

Hi @ken.a thank you for your response! We have a New Membership Trigger and it seems to be working. When a person pays for a plan, they are added to the list.

The Update Member Profile trigger was present so if an existing paid subscriber updated their email, that new email would be added to the subscriber newsletter list. It worked perfectly until last week. Now, the trigger is also adding new accounts that get created before subscribers pay and old accounts that have cancelled.

I want to still make it possible for paid subscribers be able to update their account, is there a way I can use the New Membership Trigger for paid subscribers to update their emails?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @everythingislove,

Thanks for the explanation.

You can probably use a Filter by Zapier step after the “Updated Member Profile” trigger for the Zap to only continue when a paid subscriber updates their account. The “Updated Member Profile” trigger returns the subscription status as true or false in the sample data:

e95a81e2a1f82c1aa5f75aeaea1fe144.png
(view larger)

You can try setting up your Filter by Zapier step like this:

activeSubscription - (Boolean) Is true

d77e706a70fca7159d09128f97619f6f.png
(view larger)

Additionally, you can learn more about Filter by Zapier here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496276332557#1-add-a-filter-step-0-0

Do you think this could work for you? Please let me know. 😊

Userlevel 1

@ken.a It could work, though it would require us upgrading to the paid plan. Zapier only allows 2 step zaps for free. So we will have to consider that! Thank you!