Question

Zapier "No Data" Error in AssemblyAI Transcription

• 13 May 2024
  • 8 replies

Hey!

New to Zapier, used loads of automation tools in the past.

I’ve got a short zap that uploads an audio file, connects to AssemblyAI to transcribe. My issue is with recieving the transcription.

Currently using a “Create file from Text” (google drive, if it matters). Everything is fine except the content of the file;

Transcript result text says “no data” - despite the test file having 1 minute of audio.

Is there a different widget for getting the text? None seem applicable, all of them are showing up empty. Is this an AssemblyAI problem? Zapier problem?

I can get the files transcribed (albeit poorly) directly on AssemblyAI’s website, but no way to extract transcription via zapier (shows up blank).

Help?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @AndrewJM ,

Have you mapped the correct field? 

Can you go to Zap History -> Click on any successful execution -> Open Data Out of trigger event and share the screenshot here so i can check if you have mapped correct field

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @AndrewJM I think it would also help if you shared screenshots of the workflow too :) 

Hey @AndrewJM I think it would also help if you shared screenshots of the workflow too :) 

As I said, a short zap that takes an audio file to Assembly to transcribe.
My issue is with create file from text. Only the 3 steps i mentioned are used.

Hey @AndrewJM ,

Have you mapped the correct field? 

Can you go to Zap History -> Click on any successful execution -> Open Data Out of trigger event and share the screenshot here so i can check if you have mapped correct field

It never ran successfully, however;

However;

Transcript result text: “No Data”.

So there’s text, but Zapier can’t pick it up? Looks like a Zapier ↔ AssemblyAI bug.

FWIW any other transcription software platform works (i moved to something else yesterday because this was a PITA).

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@AndrewJM I just noticed in your screenshot it says “no data”, so the test zap would not work when the field is empty. Would you be able to re-test with something with data? I also checked the AssemblyAI docs and “text” is the correct field to use. I would also try to dump the text into google docs to test it out. 

Note that AssemblyAI said “The transcription may take some time, so the initial test data will be mostly unpopulated. Once the action completes, you can use all the fields returned by the action in subsequent steps. Due to Zapier's limitations, you can't test subsequent actions with the unpopulated fields.” 

Perhaps you can also consider adding a “delay” step before the “create file” step too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @AndrewJM ,

You can ignore No Data. Some test data can be incorrect also on Zapier. Kindly retest and the zap and that should work properly. It will succesfully create a file from text in Google Drive. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

In AssemblyAI’s zapier documentation, they said this is an issue, so perhaps add a delay or try another tool, hopefully you found some good alternatives!

https://www.assemblyai.com/docs/integrations/zapier (Step 5)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @AndrewJM ,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance with your Zap. We're glad to address any concerns and assist you.

We're looking forward to your response.