Question

Zapier Interfaces to OpenAI Whisper action - “Failed to create a transcription in OpenAI“ error

• 7 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m experiencing a similar issue, but with urls. 

• I have a form in Interfaces where I upload an mp3 audio recording. 
  • That then populates in Tables as a url. Goes like https://ucarecdn.com/... It’s a publicly accessible url as I’m able to listen to the audio in any browser without logging into Zapier.
  • But when I reference this url in my Open AI Whisper action, it gives me the same error as the OP: “Failed to create a transcription in OpenAI (GPT-3, DALL-E, Whisper) The app returned "invalid_request_error".
  • I’m quite sure I have everything else set up correctly because if I reference an audio file from Google drive instead of the url, it transcribes things fine.

Any tips on getting the Open AI transcription working with file uploads via url?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @J_M! 👋

Hope you don’t mind but we’ve split your reply out into it’s own topic as you appear to be having a slightly different issue to the one being discussed in the other topic. 

Can I just check whether it’s producing the same error for all other files uploaded via the Interfaces form? Or is it only occurring for some of the files?

The Create Transcription action should support mp3 files so perhaps it’s an issue with the file size. It has a maximum limit of 25 MB for the files so if any are over that limit then that could potentially be what’s causing the issue. Do you think that could be the case or were all files you tested with well under that limit?

Alternatively, it could be that the links to the file that are supplied by the test record in the Zap since expired. Which may explain why it’s working when you test by using a Google Drive action to obtain a link to the file. Some apps will provide a temporary access to the file which expires after a short while so if the OpenAI action wasn’t tested before the access expire then that could be what’s caused the error. In which case, can you try uploading a new file via the form, them immediately pull that new file in as a new test record and test the OpenAI action again? 

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Actually having the same issue. Any new information here? 

Seems that uploading audio files in interfaces is not working properly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out here, @Memyselfandi! 👋

You mentioned that you have the same issue with “uploading audio files in Interfaces”, but the error being discussed previously was occurring when a file from and Interfaces form was sent to an Create Transcription action. So I just want to double-check - is it exactly the same issue here or are you getting error when attempting to upload an audio file to a Zapier Interfaces form?

I can’t look into your account or Zaps so if you could share a screenshot showing the full error message and current setup of the Create Transcription action (or File upload form field if it’s erroring when uploading to the form) that will help us folks in the Community to better assist in troubleshooting this with you. Please remember to remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

Keen to help get to the bottom of this so will keep an eye out for your reply! 🙂