Best answer

Zapier Google Sheets Integration Issue After Adding, Deleting Columns and Changing Sheet Name

  • 8 September 2023
  • 9 replies
  • 233 views

Userlevel 1

I had Zaps set up in my Google Sheets that were working fine for searching and updating rows. However, I recently added some columns to my spreadsheet, and now the 'Update Spreadsheet Row' step is not functioning correctly. I suspect the issue might be due to the newly added columns that didn't exist before. When I test the Zap, I receive the following error message: 'There was an error writing to your Google sheet. Unable to parse range: 'DATABASE'!' Additionally, I made the mistake of changing the name of the sheet.

I have already performed a 'Refresh Fields,' waited for a day, ensured proper data mapping, but the issue remains unresolved. I continue to encounter the same problem described earlier.

 

PREVIOUS VESION WHERE THE ZAP WORKED:
 

 

NEW VERSION:

 

ZAP ERROR WHEN TRYING TO UPDATE A ROW:

 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 September 2023, 18:07

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Pentaneon 

Good question.

Try remapping the entire step from selecting the spreadsheet, worksheet, then mapping the variables to fields.

 

The Google Sheets trigger on my Zap stopped working

If your Google Sheets trigger stops working suddenly, first check if you’ve accidentally inserted a blank row anywhere in the spreadsheet. Zapier interprets a blank row as the end of the spreadsheet and may have trouble finding any new rows below it.

In addition to this, making the following changes to your spreadsheet while the Zap is turned on can cause errors:

  • Deleting existing rows or columns.
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet.
  • Resorting the sheet.
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging columns.
  • Renaming the sheet.
  • Filtering the sheet.

If you need to make any of those changes to your Google Sheet, turn your Zap off while you work on the spreadsheet, and then turn it back on again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Pentaneon 

An alternative to avoid this issue would be to use Airtable instead of GSheets.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your suggestions.

I've checked, and there are no empty rows in my spreadsheet. I also tried deleting the Zap and remapping everything from scratch, but the issue still persists. It seems that the problem isn't related to blank rows or a mapping error. I'm still encountering the same error message even after taking these steps. Any further guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated."

 

 

Userlevel 1

Additionally, if I have inadvertently made any of the following changes to my spreadsheet, such as deleting existing olumns, or columns in places other than the last place of the sheet, what steps should I take to rectify these issues to ensure my Zap is working?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Pentaneon 

Please post detailed screenshots with how your GSheet Zap step is configured.

The error indicates the worksheet is named DATABASE, but in your screenshot it says DB.

The error indicates it was trying to write to column Q, which may be outside the configured range.

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Pentaneon 

When in doubt, completely reconfigure the Zap step.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply:

CURRENT SHEET VERSION:
 

 

2. Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets
 

 

3. Update Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets

 

Userlevel 1

Keep in mind that the Sheet name is DATABASE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Pentaneon 

The Row expects a Row ID which is a number, instead of a SKU value.

 

Also, try clearing, then reselecting these field values.

 

Reply