Skip to main content
Best answer

Zapier Filter Test Error when a certain Column in Google sheets is updated to “yes” a message sends in Slack.

• 3 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello all,

I am fairly new to Zapier and have encountered a snag whilst try to make a Zap which I feel should be fairly straight forward. 

The purpose of this Zap is for when a certain Column in Google sheets is updated to “yes” a message sends in Slack. 

The name of this Column is Trigger1. 

Zapier seems to have no issues finding the spreadsheet and the correct Column but the Filter function keeps showing the same error message when i am testing it. 

I have tried to add a Formatter Line-item to text but this encounters the same issues. 

I have included some screenshots below - I would be grateful if a Zapier whizz could take a look and give me a nudge in the ridge direction. 

Many thanks,

Michael 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Michael Bricklane 

The Filter step warning is to indicate the step would not have passed because the Zap trigger step example row you are using had no value for the column.

Check the Row for the chosen Zap trigger example to help you troubleshoot.

NOTE: GSheets need to be configured in a certain way to be used in Zaps.

• Row 1 with headers
  • Value in Cell A1
  • Column A not hidden
  • No merged rows/columns
  • If you have formulas in rows, then that may be causing the issue for which rows are returned by the Zap trigger step to test with

You can try turning your Zap ON and testing live.

Then check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step.

NOTE: If you change a cell value from X > Y > X, it will not trigger for previously seen values.

I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I will have another go!

Userlevel 1

Thank you, it’s working now! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic news @Michael Bricklane! Thanks for confirming that did the trick. And a big thank you to @Troy Tessalone for helping out here - always greatly appreciated! 🤗

Do reach back out in the Community if you run into further issues at all. Until then, happy Zapping! ⚡