Best answer

Zapier cannot find a Contact for a New Deal in Freshsales using the Contact's Email

• 20 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

PROBLEM: Zapier can’t get a Freshsales Contact for a New Deal in a specific Deal Pipeline using the Contact’s Email.

I’m setting up a multistep zap where I need to send a DocuSign envelope to a Contact in Freshsales and need the Contact’s Email to do this. (I have DocuSign integrated into Freshsales.) I created some very basic test zaps to figure this out and have had no luck. 

First 2 Test Zaps --
Trigger = Find New Deal within a specific Deal Pipeline in Freshsales, which succeeds. 
Action = Add a Note to the Contact for that New Deal in Freshsales. 
Result = Zapier successfully finds the Contact for that New Deal using the Contact ID and adds the note. But the action fails when I try to find the Contact for that New Deal using the Contact’s Email. 

Next Test Zap -- 
Trigger = Find New Contact in Freshsales, which succeeds. For this test I’m looking for any New Contact, regardless of Deal or Deal Pipeline.
Action = Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets, which succeeds.
Result = I have a new row in a very basic spreadsheet with columns for First Name, Last Name, Contact ID, and Contact Email. A new row is created with each column successfully filled, including the email for the New Contact.

SCREENSHOTS -- 

FAIL: Find New Deal in Freshsales and Add Note to Contact in Freshsales using Contact Email.

ACTION = Update By Email
ACTION = Enter Email/Contact ID. There’s no Email data available among the data for the New Deal.

icon

Best answer by melissacwood 18 March 2024, 21:57

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @melissacwood 

Did you try with this variable?

The screenshot doesn’t show the full value so we’re a bit limited.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone

Yes, I tried using the Custom Field Cf Customer Email but it actually holds no value. When I select Custom Field Cf Customer Email it displays a random email (I blurred it in the screenshots since that I have no idea where this email is coming from). But when you go to test you can see that it says “No data to show for this record”. And then the test gives the error message “Failed to create a note in Freshsales Classic. Required field "Enter Email / Contact ID" (value_for_update_by) is missing.” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@melissacwood 

Perhaps try turning the Zap ON and testing live.

Then check the Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you troubleshoot:

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1
Badge

SOLUTION FOUND!

After consulting with a Freshsales support agent, I added a couple new required text fields to the Deals in Freshsales Admin Settings -- “Initial Contact Email” and “Initial Contact Name”.

The agent explained that because every Deal can have multiple Contacts, and every Contact can have multiple email addresses, it would be impossible to get a single email address associated with a specific Deal. Adding the new “Initial Contact Email” field in the Admin Settings for Deals gives me an email value on the specific Deal to target in my zap. 

I created a simple zap to test this... 

Trigger -- App: Freshsales. Find New Deal within a specific Deal Pipeline in Freshsales.

Action --  App: DocuSign. Send Envelope Using Template in DocuSign.

Because I was targeting an email address using the “Initial Contact Email” the DocuSign action required a name field to go along with it. I then created the “Initial Contact Name” field for Deals in Freshsales.

Success!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That's amazing news, @melissacwood! Thank you for updating us here.

This will be helpful for our Community members who may be experiencing the same issue.

Thank you so much, and we appreciate you! 🤗