Best answer

Zapier can't find Discord Users with # and numbers in their name

• 15 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’m trying to use zapier to find users and then assign them roles in Discord. But it seems it can't find users in discord with numbers after their name, i'm testing with two accounts, one with the username jdconnol, and one with the user name jdconnol#6626, zapier has no problem finding and assigning a role to the first account but can't find the second one, why?

The Zap steps right now are as follows:

• 1. User joins discord via the heading in a google form
  • 2. They return to the google form, fill in their username and some additional details
  • 3. Once they submit the form, Zapier finds them in discord via their username, and notes their unique discord ID
  • Zapier uses this ID to assign them a role in Discord

For some reason, for users with numbers in their username, Zapier is unable to find them.

Additionally, it seems that sometimes Zapier will default to using their nicknames to identify them. For example, I wanted to assign a role to someone with the user name benparkins but the nickname “Ben Parkins (Community Manager), but when I put this into zapier, it gave the role to someone with the username benparkins#3760, but the nickname benparkins.

Would love some input here, thanks.

icon

Best answer by Christian W 10 January 2024, 04:11

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

bump

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @jdconnol,

I did some digging into this, and it seems like this usually happens when users pass the full username they see in Discord:

discord

However, that username (reganstarr#6534) is a combination of the actual username (reganstarr) + "#" + the discriminator (6534). Using a successful Find User in Discord step, you can see the breakdown of each of these fields:

discord2

The easiest workaround would be to create a Formatter step to split the text based on the "#" and return the first result:

discord3

Then map that to the Find User in Discord step.

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1

Hey Ken, 

Thanks for the response, this does work, but I’m wondering what happens if say there’s two users with the same username, like if there was a jamesp#1000 and a jamesp#2000, and the formatter removes the #, who would it assign the new role two? removing the discriminator prevents means there’s no way to see who’s unique?

It’s a rare case, but it is possible, the whole reason Discord used to use the discriminators (#1000) was so that people could choose any name they wanted. Some people won’t change theirs to the new format so they can keep their old name.

Also, the old name should work as an alias for the current name, like if jamesp#1000 changed his name to james_p, that old name should point to the new one, I’m not sure why this doesn’t work in Zapier.

Userlevel 1

I guess I need a way to account for searching for them by both username and discriminator? Is this possible somehow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @jdconnol,

Thanks for the clarification here.

Unfortunately, the “Find User” action doesn’t have the ability to find by discriminator. However, we do have an existing feature request for this exact functionality. I have added you as another interested member to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Additionally, we do have a workaround for this, I haven’t tested this myself, but I hope this workaround is helpful for you.

Workaround:

Zap 1:

• New User Added in Discord
  • Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets

Zap 2:

• Trigger: X
  • Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets
  • Action(s)

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey folks! I wanted to bring an update to this thread in light of some changes that Discord has brought to its username system.

Specifically, Discord has made the decision to move away from using "discriminators" in favour of globally-unique usernames (and potentially duplicate "display names"). You can read more about this here.

When this change was implemented, most Discord users would have selected a globally-unique username which can be viewed in the app. For those who did not make this selection, a globally-unique username was generated for them by appending their existing username with their discriminator.

For example, a user with these details prior to the change...

• Username: zapier
  • Discriminator: #1234

...will now have details like this (assuming they did not manually choose a unique username):

• Username: zapier1234
  • Discriminator: 0
  • Display name: SomethingElse

This means that all Discord usernames are now unique, and thus you will be able to reliably search for Discord users via the existing Zapier integration. I hope this proves helpful!