Question

Zapier bugged out and overcharged me tasks. Customer service is completely useless. Please help.

• 7 February 2024
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve been in contact with Zapier’s customer service for over a week with an agent who is failing to listen to my concerns and who is giving me false information. I’ve lost my patience.

Last week, one of our automations bugged out and used up over 26k tasks, when the normal amount is around 1.4k.

The Zap in question runs once a day, and uses a loop. I checked the parameters of the loop -- there are 5 tasks in the loop step. Zapier limits loops to 500 iterations. At most, I should be charged around 2500 tasks. Simple math, right?

The Zapier CS agent willfully ignored this concern. She just kept repeating the same instructions about how to view the tasks for a given date range. I patiently showed her over and over again that I already knew how to do this. Back and forth for over a week. Waiting a day between emails to get a response.

I thought this would be a simple fix -- just acknowledge the error and refund the tasks. We pay Zapier a good amount of money -- why is customer service so completely awful? 

I’m at my wits end, here. This is absolutely unacceptable. Somebody please help me.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @brilliantops 

That’s a bummer.

For us to have context we would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.

If the Zap was triggered to run more than once then that may be why there Zap used so many Tasks.

Userlevel 1

Here is the Zap version from a week ago:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@brilliantops 

Looping steps no longer count as Zapier Tasks if you are on an updated Zapier plan.

Looks like there are only 4 steps within the Loop. (6-9)

Can you show screenshots with how your Zap trigger step is configured?

Can you show screenshot proof of the Task used by the same Zap in the Zap History Task Usage page?

https://zapier.com/app/history/usage

OBSERVATION

Looks like you are using an old version of the Notion Zap app.

Best practice is to keep those updated.

Userlevel 1

Actually, I think it was v8 that was the root of this -- it’s set up in the same way.

I think the error actually happened on Jan 30. It was caused by the “Find Worksheet” task. 

I believe what happened was -- the Zap errored out, put itself into “Waiting”, restarted, and re-ran the loop each time. Thus causing me to be endlessly charged tasks. I noticed many thousands of tasks from this Zap in “Waiting” on the morning of Jan 31 -- and I deleted all of them to stop being charged more tasks.

Userlevel 1

Zapier schedule trigger:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@brilliantops 

Sounds like you’ve identified the root issue.

I’ve flagged this topic for a Zapier Community Admin to help get you in contact with Zapier Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@brilliantops 

In your Zap > Settings you may want to adjust the Autoreplay Override controls.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I’ve set that to Never Replay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @brilliantops! 👋

Really sorry to hear about what happened here. And I’m so pleased you were able to get to the bottom of what was causing those unexpected tasks. And big thank you to @Troy Tessalone for helping out with this! 🙌

I can see that the Billing and Accounts team have looked into this and have sent a further reply to you on the existing email thread you’ve got open with them. If you have any follow up questions on that it would be best to continue the conversation with them directly over email.

Please do reach out again in the Community if we can help with anything else Zap-related in the meantime! 🙂

Similar thing happend here.
I’ve been waiting for 10 days for customer service to reply my email!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m so sorry you had such a long wait time on getting a response from the Support team @JJL_

I had a look in the system and it appears that they’ve since got back to you. If you have any follow-up questions regarding their latest reply it would be best to continue the conversation with Support directly over email - they’ll have the most context on the situation and can assist with further. 

If there’s anything Zap-related you’d like some help with in the meantime please post a new topic in the Community and we’ll be happy to help! 🙂

Similar thing happend here.
I’ve been waiting for 10 days for customer service to reply my email!

After 14 days the situation has been solved. Zaps were reimbursed and everything is working. The response time is the only thing that keeps grinding my gears.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the update here @JJL_! 🤗

I’m so pleased the Support team were able to help get everything sorted out. Totally get the frustration caused by the long response time. I do know that they’re currently working on improving response times so that folks can get quicker responses in future.

If there’s anything else that comes up please do reach out in the Community to let us know - we’re always here and happy to assist. Until then, happy Zapping! ⚡