Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I set up an automation in Zapier to send a message in Slack if a card in our Notion board is moved to a certain status and hasn't been moved again after 24 hours. However, I'm encountering an issue where the automation triggers every time someone comments on the card, not just when it hasn't been moved.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help and I’ll be really glad to jump on a call anytime just to fix this issue asap.

Hi @leximarie, welcome to the Community! 😁

Ah, there isn’t a field returned in the Updated Database Item trigger that would indicate what field was just updated, if there was then a filter could be used to only allow it to proceed if the status was changed. And there isn’t an option to limit the Zap to only trigger for certain kinds of updates. There’s an existing feature request for the ability to only trigger for certain updates which would be what you’d need here:

So I’ve added your vote to that to help increase it’s chances of being implemented. I can’t make any promises around when it might be done by, but we’ll send you an email notification as soon as it is! 

As a workaround, I wonder if you could store a record of all the Notion database items in Zapier Tables and then check that to see if there’s been a status change after 24 hours? Here’s an outline of what I’m thinking of:

Zap 1 - stores and records all updates to Notion items

• Trigger: Updated Database Item (Notion) - runs when a database item is updated.
  • Action: Find Record (Zapier Tables) - searches for an existing record and creates one if it can’t find one.

Zap 2 - runs if the Status is changed and sends a Slack message if it’s not been updated after 24 hours

• Trigger: Updated Record (Zapier Tables) - only runs when the selected trigger field is updated (so you could set it to trigger when the status field is updated).
  • Action: Delay For (Delay by Zapier) - set to delay for 24 hours.
  • Action: Find Record (Zapier Tables) - search for the record that previously triggered the Zap to see what it’s current status is.
  • Action: Only continue if (Filter by Zapier) - checks whether the status output by the trigger (Text) Exactly matches the status output by the Find Record action.
  • Action: Send Private Channel Message (Slack) - sends message to notify the channel that a notion item hasn’t had it’s status updated.

That should allow the Zap to check that the current status matches the status that was set before the delay action so that the Slack message is only set if it hasn’t since been moved. 

Do you think that approach could work for your needs here?