Best answer

Zap triggering too early, causing errors due to blank fields

• 2 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3

I created a Zap that uses New SpreadSheet row in google sheets as the trigger… the goal of my zap is that when I add a name to colomn A, an email address to column B, and then drag my google sheets formulas down for columns C-G the sheet will create email templates using the name from column A in the template… 

My problem is my salespeople aren’t quick enough to get all that info in before the zap is trying to fire and then i’m getting errors cause if thinks some of the fields are still blank

Is there an easy way to fix this with a delay or filter step???

icon

Best answer by shalgrim 3 November 2023, 23:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Woozie83 

Good question.

I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has Views, which are segments of Zaps. (sort, filter, show/hide fields, reorder fields, etc.)

Views can be used to trigger Zaps/Automations.

Airtable also has Automations which have a native integration with Gmail.

If you want to use GSheets, check out this GSheet help article: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495995099533-Common-Problems-with-Google-Sheets-on-Zapier#h_01H91EB6PGZNSG61C15NJ4MDHA

“New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” trigger behavior

If you’re using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger and choose Any column to monitor, any change to a row will trigger your Zap. If you select a specific column, then the Zap will only trigger when there are changes on that column.

miscEye icon Note

Zaps using New or Updated Spreadsheet Row will also trigger for any new rows in the spreadsheet, even if the specified column is blank. To avoid triggering in those cases, add a Filter step to your Zap.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Woozie83 

I’m not disagreeing with Troy, but I have another option for you.

The way I would do it would be to use the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row. To make this work you would:

• Add a new column to the spreadsheet. Call it something like “Ready”
  • Use that column as what needs to be updated to trigger the Zap. Like this image
  • Then, process-wise, tell your salespeople to check that column after all the other information is entered. So they can enter the information at their own pace, but nothing will happen until they check that column

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 3

awesome thank you both @Troy Tessalone @shalgrim ….my sales guys like easy… telling them to click a box once they’re ready sounds like my perfect answer here