Skip to main content

Currently I have a zap that uses a specific google sheet and every time a certain column gets updated with the checking of a check box it will send a slack notification letting us know that the item has been checked off. This has been working great. The only issue is, I don't want to have uncheck all the boxes at the end of the month. So I had the idea of create a zap to help with this. 

I have a zap that every month it renames and moves the current used file to an archive folder within google drive and then copies and renames a template file so the file is blank to start every month. This seems to be working well. We use this doc to track items throughout the month and then when the next month starts we want to start fresh. I have tested that and it works 

The issue I am running into is getting the slack automation zap to recognize the newly created file every month and send the slack notifications from that new google sheet. The google sheet is named the same but obviously the ID changes with each new document. I originally tried the updated file google drive zap but it does seems to automate based on the google sheet in drive being updated.

I have included a shot of the zap I am trying to utilize with google drive updated files. I have also added a screen shot of the current one that is working but it is based off of a static sheet. I have also included a screen shot of the zap I created to create a new file every month.

Hi @VVTeam,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing the “Action” section of the action step that shows all of its fields where you’re having issues with? This will help me look closer at the issue you’re running into.

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

Hopefully this is what you are looking for. I can try and provide as much context as you need. I am pretty new to this. I had it setup originally to be a static file that when a column is updated it sends a slack message. Now I want to have a dynamic file that changes every month be used to send the slack message. My issue might be with the trigger because I don't think I can use the “New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” trigger with a file that isn't static? Not sure.

Hi there @VVTeam,

I’m so sorry for the delayed reply here.

The workflow you’re trying to achieve here might not be possible since the Google Drive app does not return the Spreadsheet ID. The “Spreadsheet” field in the Google Sheets step requires the Spreadsheet ID.

No worries at all! Thank you for your help. This makes sense. There is no way to really connect the two. So what I am thinking as a work around is instead of trying to copy and replace the file that feeds the slack automation, I can set up a zap to change the trigger row from TRUE to FALSE once a month. I am trying to figure that out now but I am also coming up short. Do you have any opinions on that? The issue I am facing is it will only update one row not all of the rows.

Basically I am having the zap on a schedule (every hour for now just to test but will become monthly) find the file in google drive. Then look up the spread sheet rows in a specific column to find TRUE. Then update those rows in that column to FALSE. It keeps erroring. Any thoughts? I can get it to update the specific row I set in the Update Spreadsheet Rows configuration but I need it to update all rows that read True and make them FALSE. Maybe a loop function?

Hi @VVTeam,

Have you tried using the “Lookup Spreadsheet Rows” followed by the “Update Spreadsheet Row(s)” this will update one or more new rows in a specific spreadsheet (with line item support).

Additionally, it looks like the attachment you have sent did not go through. Could you please try sending it again?

5aeef5c97b88cb827c9330b770731d11.png
(view larger)

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!