Question

Zap not triggering when row is updated or changed

• 1 December 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

Hello!

I have my Zap set to trigger when a row is changed or updated in Microsoft Excel. I have it linked to a specific file name and sheet. I will be replacing this file multiple times a day with the exact same file and sheet name, but new, same, or updated information. 

My boss is trying to have me run tests through Zapier to ensure it is working properly. yesterday, I ran into an issue where I updated the file, checked Zapier (which runs checks every 2 mins.). I waited for about 10 minutes and nothing happened. I waited until the file was synced in my OneDrive and still no changes. There were 33 new rows and I am not sure how many updates. It is not working and I am unsure why. I have tried to read up on this issue and cannot seem to find a solution. I reconfigured the destination for the file and still nothing… 

This Zap will need to be running a lot throughout the day as there will be a frequent amount of updates. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it!

Also getting this error when I try to manually transfer...

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @clairehunter 

Good question.

The issue is likely due to how your are replacing/updating the Excel file.

Badge

Hello @Troy Tessalone 

I am just uploading the new file into the folder with the preexisting file under the same exact name. Then it says “a file with this name already exists would you like to replace” So I click replace.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clairehunter 

Yeah that likely won’t work with the Zap you have configured.

Replacing a file that already has rows of existing data, means those are probably not treated as “new rows” or “updated rows”.

Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Oh okay. How would you recommend proceeding in order to make this work? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clairehunter 

We would need more context about the Excel files you are using.

Why are you replacing those files?

What is the format of the data within the files?

Are those CSV files?

Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

I apologize, I tried to submit a response and it doesn’t appear to have posted? I will retype it.

Why are you replacing those files?

We are exporting all of our open orders from our POS system to be imported into an order management software we created through Airtable. It is exported under the same name every time and replaces the old file. The new file will have most of the old rows and a few new rows.

What is the format of the data within the files?

It is a very simple Excel file with no formulas or anything. 30 columns and avg 130 rows. Information consists of Customer Name, Item #, QTY, Unit of Measure, Invoice Number, etc. These are the columns we will be mapping.

Are those CSV files?

They are all .xlsx files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clairehunter 

Perhaps just use the CSV Import Extension in Airtable?

https://support.airtable.com/docs/csv-import-extension

Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

My apologies. We are trying to eliminate the manual steps as we will be importing probably a minimum of 30 times a day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clairehunter 

Which POS app are you using?

Does it have a Zap app?

For your use case, there may not be a simple Zap to configure due to the deduplication logic.

Zap steps could look something like this…

(if using CSV files)

1. Trigger: GDrive - New File in Folder
  2. Action: Formatter - Utilities > Import CSV File
  3. Action: Looping - Create Loop from Line Items
  4. Action: GSheets - Find/Create Row
  5. Action: GSheets - Update Row

NOTE: This approach may be VERY task intensive and become expensive.

Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Hey Troy,

Thanks for the help. The reason we are using Zapier is because our POS system is cloud based and does not API with anything whatsoever. It is called Decor Fusion.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Are you storing these files in OneDrive or Google Drive? Both apps have a “New File” trigger that might help

Would it be possible to add a new worksheet to the existing Excel sheet instead of completely replacing the file? If so, the New Worksheet trigger might work