Question

Zap is turning off itself

Hello community !

I am facing a problem. To explain, we have a Typeform where our customers fill in the documents needed to build a financing folder. Once the response from this Typefom is sent, it creates a new line in a google sheet. We use this new line in the google sheet as our Zap trigger. Then it's a Lookup of the cell where the documents are located then a Find Folder (Google Drive) and Upload Files (Google Drive) so that the documents are uploaded in the right drive folder and renamed correctly. At first it works but now we receive alerts and the zap is turned off during execution (for security?).

It’s normal that some lookups do succeed because our customers do not need to send us all the documents, it depends on the situation. That's why when I created the Zap I put the option at each lookup to consider the task successful even if the lookup failed. Thanks in advance for your help !

My Zap : 

• Trigger : New row in Google Sheet
  • Action : Lookup value in Google Sheet (with the option at each lookup to consider the task successful even if the lookup failed)
  • Action : Find Folder in Google Drive
  • Action : Upload File in the Folder

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Dylan Besset 

Good question.

Please clarify what error message you are receiving.

You can check here: Zap > Details > Change History

Hello @Troy Tessalone,

I did several screenshots to explain in detail the problem. 

• The first one = Zap > Details > Change History
  • The second one = the moment when it turned off automatically 
  • And the third one = it's the same as the second one (but a few days ago, when the zap was working). We can see when it met the same error, it went to the next step without shutting down ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Dylan Besset

The Zap is shutting OFF automatically because of this issue:

A required field is missing, which is different than if no matching record is found.

Try this Zap step logic instead…(might need to be adjust as I may not be fully understanding your workflow)

1. Trigger: GSheet - New Row
  2. Action: Looping
    1. Used to handle line items
      1. NOTE: You may need additional steps before the Looping step to properly format the data from the GSheet New Row to be used in the Looping app
  3. Action: GSheet - Lookup Row
    1. If you prepped the data from GSheet Row properly, then you should always find a matching row
  4. Action: GDrive - Find Folder
  5. Action: GDrive - Upload File

Might be best to outline a specific example for us so we have more context about your different use cases, such as when not all the files are needed. (e.g. 2 out of 5 only)

@Troy Tessalone

Thanks for your reply. I tried it, but I don’t think is the solution, or maybe I don’t understand how looping works … 

To explain more in details how my Zap works, you can use this image below. 

1. When a Typeform is summit, a new row in Google Sheet is create (trigger) 
  2. I find the right folder, and subfolder with 2 “Find Folder in Google Drive” (using drive ID) 
  3. Lookup the right cell in the new row of the Google Sheet. In that cell, there are the document link
  4. Upload this document in the right Folder (and rename the document)

The lookup and upload part is repeated more than 50 times, for 50 different document. But sometimes, the client doesn't need to send us a document, that's why the lookup return as “lookup value is missing”, even if I put the “consider as success if nothing is found” option. 

To illustrate, in this image, the client could send us the “CNI” but not the “Titre de séjour”. So in my google sheet, I will have a file in the cell for “CNI” but no file in the “titre de séjour” cell. 

Thanks a lot, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Dylan Besset

The lookup and upload part is repeated more than 50 times, for 50 different document.

You really should create a more dynamic Zap to handle the variable number of options, rather than using the same Zaps steps repeated.

That might require using a Code step to handle the data and determine which of the 50 options to process.

For example, if a GSheet Row has 10 of the 50 options selected, then in a properly configured dynamic Zap it should loop 10 times, once for each detected option.

Consider hiring a Zapier Expert for help: https://zapier.com/experts