Best answer

Zap is not recognizing "Cleaned'" status in Mailchimp to update Airtable.

• 29 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I’m trying to create a Zap that will update my contact database (Airtable) whenever an email address gets marked “cleaned” by Mailchimp. I’ve set up a segment in Mailchimp that will put any contacts with a “cleaned” status into it, and in Zapier I created the following: 

1. Mailchimp New Subscriber in Segment or Tag in Mailchimp
  2. Set the correct account, audience, and segment
  3. However, once I get to test, I’m not getting any records showing up. I suspected this was because the task is for “New Subscriber” (status “subscribed”) and records with “cleaned” status are being ignored. I moved in a “subscribed” contact into this segment and Zapier did recognize it as a viable test record, which supports my hunch. 

My issue is now I have no way to update my Airtable to properly show which contacts are cleaned/bounced. Zapier has an event for New Unsubscribers, so I would hope I could create one similar for New Cleaned contacts, so my contact database is up to date across the board. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can create this Zap to get past the “subscribed” vs “cleaned” status hiccup, or put in a new request for a Cleaned event with the Zapier team? 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 29 September 2023, 02:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ueresearch 

Good question.

Give this workaround a try…

You can use Mailchimp Webhooks.

Zap trigger: Webhooks - Catch Hook

This will generate the unique webhook URL to configure in Mailchimp.

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much Troy - this worked like a charm! 

For any future readers with a similar issue who stumble upon this thread, turns out you cannot mark an email “cleaned” in Mailchimp, so I was having trouble creating and pulling a test record to set up my Zap. The Mailchimp support advised me to create the Webhook for a different situation (such as a unsubscribe) to be able to grab the correct email field, then change it to what I wanted it to do (cleaned only). I was also able to test this by creating a fake email I knew couldn’t possibly exist (e.g. ThisEmailIsFake@companydomain.com) and sending a campaign to it so Mailchimp would see the email bounce and update the test email to cleaned for me (which triggered the Zap). 

This video was also very helpful: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @ueresearch! Thank you for sharing the solution here! Also, big thanks to Troy for assisting!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊