Best answer

Zap is not adding subscribers in MailerLite from Google Sheets

• 27 September 2023
  • 23 replies

Badge +1

I just can’t seem to get my Zap working and it’s driving me bonkers. I’m trying to set up a new Zap where a new row in a google spreadsheet will trigger an added subscriber in my mailer lite account.

It sets up no problem, everything is saying it connects, data is pulled and the test runs “true” but …. it doesn’t work.

I have had this exact same zap running to a Mailchimp account for years and never had a problem. Now nothing seems to be working. 

I’ve tried setting this up two different ways: 

1. sending a new spreadsheet row (the trigger) to a mailer lite subscriber group
  2. sending a google form response (trigger) to a mailer lite subscriber group

I also can’t figure out how to manually run a zap anymore, so I’d like to know how to do that too. 

icon

Best answer by jpolizzi5 5 October 2023, 00:03

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jpolizzi5 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to help us have more context.

How many records are in the GSheet? (there are known limits)

Help articles to review about using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Badge +1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

So it’s a really simple set up. Trigger is a new spreadsheet row .. 

The accounts and everything look good and connect
Spreadsheet and worksheet are accurate 

This was my most recent record that it pulled. It was a test one I entered using my dog’s name :) 

Connects to my mailer lite account

This is the correct Mailer Lite subscriber group I want it to go to and these are the field I chose to import 

And here is where it tells me the test works. 
This is the history of the zap. On the zap end it looks like everything is working. But … nothing is showing up in my subscribers. I’ve been at this since yesterday morning so there’s been plenty of time for a long delay. I’ve tried deleting and recreating many times over. The spreadsheet only has about 3,000 rows so I don’t think I’ve reached the known limit. Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 

For the MailerLite Zap steps, in the Email field, you have 4 fields mapped, which is not correct.

You should only map the Email field from Zap step 1.

Badge +1

Oh! Thanks I’ll try that. The user interface is way different now then when I set up my original zap. I appreciate this help. 

Badge +1

Gah! It’s still not working. What on earth am I doing wrong? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Badge +1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 

Zap triggers that are instant (vs scheduled) can’t be run manually.

Looks like you are using this Zap trigger: GSheets - New/Update Row

You may want to use this Zap trigger: GSheets - New Row

Make sure to test with an email address that is not already in MailerLite.

Badge +1

ok, thanks - that’s no big problem. I still can’t figure out why it won’t work though. Any more insight? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 

Can you clarify what is not working now?

Is the Zap not running from GSheets?

Is the data not being sent to MailerLite?

Have you tried turning the Zap ON and testing LIVE?

Then check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot.

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1

Hey @Troy Tessalone  I’m having the same issue! The data is not being populated into MailerLite. I’ve had the same setup as @jpolizzi5 . It will work when I run the tests, but not when it’s live and real data is coming into the google sheet

Badge +1

@javiclavi OMG - THANK YOU! I was starting to think there was something seriously wrong with me for not being able to figure this out. I have tried logging in and out of everything. Disconnecting, reconnecting. Making sure I’m on the newest version of mailerlite and zapier and using the correct apps. Nothing. Tests work and history shows successful transfer. Today I’m able to get an email that says the transfer is complete and yet still NOTHING is being fed into my mailerlite account. I’m so frustrated because I’m trying to build an email campaign but I feel like moving forward is a waste of time if I can’t get this to work. Also - I have the same zap running to Mailchimp and it looks like the data IS being transferred to there as it is supposed to. I wanted to switch from mailchimp to mailerlite due to cost but I’m thinking I might just stick with Mailerchimp because at least the zap is working! 

Userlevel 1

I know! It’s frustrating because I really want to use MailerLite as well. I hope @Troy Tessalone can maybe spot the bug or what we’re missing. But for now I’ll just have to transfer my list manually at the end of the day until its solved - I think it will be less time consuming then switching everything over to another platform for me at this stage! Good to know we aren’t alone!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 and @javiclavi 

Check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone You mean this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 

Check the DATA OUT

Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone

Badge +1

It appears the problem is that there is no data going out (from zapier to mailerlite) but how do I fix this? 

Badge +1

@javiclavi I FIXED IT!! In the second action step when you choose what action should happen in mailerlite I had been choosing “add subscriber to group” BUT when I changed it to “create subscriber” instead, it then prompted me to choose a group and gave me all the field options. It FINALLY worked. This was a really stupid and frustrating problem to be stuck on for days with an incredibly simple fix that was NOT clear at all! At any rate - I am very happy to have resolved this because it was driving me truly crazy. Try it - I’d love to know if it solves your problem too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpolizzi5 

FYI: The DATA OUT shows the data returned from the Zap step, aka the app response for the trigger/action.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Awesome work here @jpolizzi5! 🙌

@javiclavi - have you had a chance to try the Create Subscriber action as @jpolizzi5 mentioned? Keen to ensure everyone is all set on this so would love to hear whether that action solved things for you too! 

Badge +1

Actually it didn’t work after all. It did - and then it didn’t and I still can’t get it to work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear that, @jpolizzi5 😔

I’ve been doing dome digging on this end and it seems that the Add Subscriber to Group you were previously using will now only add existing subscribers to a group. But the Create or Update Subscriber action should either create the new subscriber or update it if it’s an existing one. 

Can you confirm whether the subscribers that are failing to be added to the group already exist in MailerLite, or are they brand new subscribers?

Looking forward to hearing from you!