Question

Zap Fail after Salesforce User Deactivated

• 9 February 2023
  • 3 replies

We have a zap which sends invoices from Salesforce to an external accounting software and then back into Salesforce. It has always worked smoothly until the last time we tried to use it. The first few invoices sent out correctly and then, after I’d deactivated one of our users, the zaps kept failing. When I reactivated the user the zaps started working again, but I can’t find where this user was involved in any stage of the zap process. Any help with what might be causing this issue would be much appreciated, thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @xanderops, welcome to the Community!

As the Zap started working again when the users was reactivated, it seems like the Zap is connecting to Salesforce using their account credentials.

I’d recommend heading into any Salesforce triggers or actions in the Zap. Then add or select a different Salesforce account connection. We have this guide on how to manage your app connections which you might find useful.

Connecting the Zap to a new/different Salesforce account should ensure that the Zap isn’t still trying to access Salesforce using the deactivated user’s login details. 

Please do keep us in the loop on how that goes! 🙂

Hey Sam, the Salesforce account we’re using to connect to Zapier is one which is still active and I still can’t find any link to the deactivated one. The most obvious difference between the successful and failed zaps is in the first step, which is an outbound message from Salesforce to the accounting software. Successful Zaps send out a lot of data (all of which starts with Notification__sObject) whereas unsuccessful Zaps only send out the five bottom lines of data (OrganizationId, ActionId, SessionId, EnterpriseURL and Partner URL). I don’t know if this info is helpful but if there are any other possible causes of this issue then please do let me know, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there,  @xanderops! Are you still running into errors with this? If so I wanted to swing by and see if you’d had a chance to review the reply from my friends in support. I’ll pop it below in case it’s helpful. Some of it references what Sam already mentioned:

I took a closer look at the Zap Run and noticed that the fields from the trigger mapped with other steps seem to be empty. As some of the Salesforce fields are required to make the step run, and there was no data for these fields, the step failed. 

I can also see that the Zap has recent successful Zap runs, so I wonder if this was a temporary issue with one of the SalesForce outbound messages. 

Regarding the deactivation of the SalesForce user, was this user account connected to the trigger? If so, that would explain why the issue happened indeed, since the Salesforce App in Zapier would use this user credentials to look for new Outbound messages. And since the user had been deactivated, it would cause issues. 

I recommend you open the Zap and double-check if the account connected in any of the Salesforce steps is still the user who was deactivated. And if so, connect a new one, re-test the steps, and Publish the Zap. 

So it definitely looks like part of the reason for the failed zaps is due to missing fields. Are you able to create a sample that includes those details, reload the trigger, and then test the Xero action step to see if that still produces the error?