Question

Zap error updating Excel formatting when adding row from Gravity Form

• 4 October 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a zap that integrates a Gravity form to add a row to Excel in Sharepoint. However, when the row is added, it messes up the formatting in the spreadsheet columns, making the cells to small for the data being added. In order to keep the formatted width of the columns I have protected the sheet (no password protection) and the only option that users are not allowed to perform is to format columns. I tested my gravity form and it did indeed add the data to a new row in the spreadsheet and kept the columns’ formatted width. However, I got a Zapier Alert email with the below error message. What should I do? I don’t want to have to widen the columns every time. This sheet is used by others to also manually add leads from other sources.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @sbrumfield623 

Good question.

Have you reviewed the available help articles for using Excel in Zaps?

https://zapier.com/apps/excel/help

NOTE: Manual updates by humans with access to the Excel file may introduce issues that negatively impact the Zap.

Thanks for your response, Troy. Yes, I’ve reviewed the related articles. I didn’t see any mention of how to fix the formatting issue. I will heed your advice on the manual updates and create a separate Excel  spreadsheet for Gravity Form submissions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@sbrumfield623 

I don’t believe Excel worksheets or cell ranges can be locked when used in Zaps.

We would need to see screenshots with examples of what you mean by the formatting issues.

Here is what the spreadsheet looks like before a zap is added. 

This is what the spreadsheet looks like after zap data data is entered. It condenses the columns. 

When I protected the columns from users being able to format the columns (see image below) the zap did work and the data populated into the spreadsheet correctly, keeping the formatting intact. However, I the error message in my first post, even though all the information transferred to the sheet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@sbrumfield623 

You have what appears to be a merged row in Row 1.

This Excel help article indicates how the spreadsheet needs to be configured to work with Zaps:

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496044256909-How-to-Setup-Your-Microsoft-Excel-sheet-to-Work-With-Zapier

To use Microsoft Excel with Zapier you need to set up your spreadsheet in a very specific way. If you don't set up your spreadsheet this way, you're likely going to have problems. Pay close attention.

These are the things you'll need from your Microsoft Excel to optimize it for use with a Zap:

• The first row must have titles for any column headers you want to be able to see in your Zap.
  • The second row must have content for any columns you want to be able to see in your Zap.

I’m facing the same issue, and the linked configuration page is toally useless. Why is zapier resizing excel columns?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Boston,

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Microsoft Excel spreadsheet headers are configured?

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!