Skip to main content
Best answer

Zap error - not creating email draft when new Google Calendar event added

I set up a Zap that is supposed to automatically create a draft in Gmail when I add an event to Google Calendar, but it's not working. What could be the possible reasons for this?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @TOMOMIKAN ,

Can you share a screenshot of the Zap that you have created? Also what error message did you receive while testing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TOMOMIKAN 

The Zap trigger event for GCal New Calendar is scheduled (not instant), so it can take a few mins to fire depending on your Zapier plan.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your replies.

The following photos are its settings.

Any error message was not found.

For the “account”, I selected my e-mail address. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @TOMOMIKAN 👋

If the Zap needs to be triggered when a new calendar event is added, you’ll want to change the Zap’s trigger event to New Event instead:

a22e900d4fb4bb69fbc6ed49b1a0d520.png

The New Calendar trigger event that’s currently selected would only trigger the Zap if a new calendar is created in your Google Calendar account.

Can you give that a try and let me know whether that fixes it?

Userlevel 1

HI @SamB !

Thank you very much for teaching me an alternative way.
I tried the New Event trigger, but it didn’t work.

In a test,  a draft  was created, but in the performance it was unsuccessful.

I don’t know why...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Happy to help here, @TOMOMIKAN! 🙂 

Sorry to hear that New Event trigger didn’t fix the issue. Can you share some further details as to exactly where it’s not working. For example when the Zap is switched on and you create a new event does the Zap fail to trigger? Or does it trigger successfully but the Gmail action fails to create the draft? 

Or is the issue more that you’re looking to only trigger the Zap for certain kinds of events and it’s unsuccessful due to it triggering fro the wrong kind of events? If it’s triggering for the wrong kind of events perhaps you could try using the New Event Matching Search (Google Calendar) trigger instead which will allow you to set specific search terms for the types of event you wish the Zap to trigger on.  

To help us get some further context on where the breakdown might be occurring would you mind sharing some further screenshots here? Asking as us folks here in the Community are unable to access your Zaps so any screenshots showing all the fields and settings selected for the trigger and action steps of the Zap would be greatly appreciated. As well as screenshots of errors you might be seeing in the Zap editor or Zap history. Please remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing though.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB !

Thank you for explaining in detail.
I tried again with the information you provided, and the trigger worked, creating a draft email.
Thank you for your guidance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

YAY! 🎉🎉🎉 That’s awesome news, @TOMOMIKAN! 🤗

I’m so pleased you were able to get your Zap working. Presumably what fixed it was switching to use the New Event Matching Search (Google Calendar) trigger instead, is that correct?

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB ,
I’m so glad to get used to commanding zapier thanks to your teaching.

That’s correct, what enabled Zap to work was the New Event Matching Search (Google Calendar) trigger.

Thanks a lot! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for confirming that @TOMOMIKAN. I’m really glad to hear that switching to that trigger worked and that you’re getting more comfortable using Zapier 🙌

If you run into any further issues or questions at all please do reach out in the Community again - we’re always happy to help. In the meantime, happy Zapping! 😁⚡