Question

Zap Error - Error sending Gmail with trigger from Asana

• 8 July 2023
  • 7 replies

I am trying to create a Zap that will send an email to an email address once a new subtask is added to Asana. The email address is a custom text field on a project page in Asana (screencap #1).

The Zap works perfectly in testing but return the error “To send a message, it needs at least one To, Cc or Bcc address.” (screencap #2) when triggered in real time. Looking at the Data out in the history log it appears that both the text_value and display_value are null (screencap #3) despite these values having the email address during the test (screencap #4) and having the trigger set up correctly (screencap #5).

Can anyone identify what may be causing the issue?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @katefc 

Good question.

Unfortunately, the screenshots did not load.

they show up on my end, but trying again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@katefc 

The Data Email field has sub properties that contain the actual value.

e.g. Data > Email > Text Value

You may need to map a different variable.

Still got the same error after changing the variable to “Data Custom Fields Text Value”.

When I load tasks for the test that is the only time I see the text_value and display_value email address. When the zap runs it returns those fields as “null” despite info being there.

When setting up the email action and picking a variable for the email to field i am given three options that contain an email address, “Data Custom Fields Text Value” (which I just tried), “Data Email” (which was my original variable), and “Data Custom Fields Display Value” (which lists all the custom field text).

Screenshots attached, hopefully in the correct referenced order.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@katefc 

You can try adding this action as Step 2: Asana - Find Task

@Troy Tessalone 

What task would I be asking it to find? The task I just created?

I am trying to set it up so when a new subtask is added it will send and email to the email address in the text field column of that subtask. The task name/email address will always be different.

Essentially, I am trying to create an automatic email that sends to a user (outside my org) once their requested subtask has been added to a project.

Thanks so much for your troubleshooting thus far!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@katefc 

Yes, same Task that triggered the Zap.

Sometimes, not all the data is present in a trigger and must be fetched using a “find”.