Question

Your path would not have continued - troubleshooting

• 1 May 2023
  • 1 reply

I’m trying to create a path in Google Sheets. Our company tracks our leads in one google sheet and within that google sheet we assign the lead to one of our team members in a specific column, and in this column it is a drop down menu with each team member listed. We are trying to create a Zap that will copy/update that same row to a different google sheet - one per team member, so that we have a main list of all leads and then each team member will have their individual leads on a separate doc.

When I go to create a Zap for this, I create the following path rule: 

Insert data: Photographer assigned column > (Text) Contains > then I manually type in the name of a team member. 

When the zap is tested on any specific team member’s name, Zapier says that “Your path would not have continued” even though they have been assigned to several dozen weddings on the main google sheet. 

I also tried to eliminate the drop down menu, and type in the team member’s name manually to see if Zapier would be able to recognize the name that way, but no luck. 

Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @LVER Photo!

This is such a great way to keep your photographers informed and organized. I love the use case (says a former wedding photographer - but like waaaaay before Zapier existed).

So there’s a few reasons why it’s saying the path wouldn’t have continued and without seeing some screenshots of the Zap and digging into the error, it’s a bit of a wildcard right now. Here’s a an existing post that might help troubleshoot:

However… I’ve actually got an idea that doesn’t use paths. The only reason you’re using a path here is to route the new or updated spreadsheet row to the right place, right? What if you used a 3 part Zap like this?

https://cdn.zappy.app/1b8d8ef479f1460d84551719a1fc54df.png

The trigger is probably the same as what you have now, as is the final step. But in the middle, you’re adding a “Find a Worksheet” action that finds a worksheet in the spreadsheet with the same name as the photographer. So for my example, I used “Mary” as the name I’d put in the list and the name of the spreadsheet.

https://cdn.zappy.app/2c90784eeb59b158bd52653bd8d9781c.png

By doing this, anytime you updated the main spreadsheet it’s looking for the photographer individual sheet and updating it.

Maybe a solution? Let me know what you think!