Skip to main content
Best answer

Xero not triggering for unreconciled bank transactions

• 21 August 2024
  • 1 reply

This post was split from the topic: 

Hi Sam,

I would like to use this Zap to pull in transactions before they are marked reconciled so that we don’t have to export transactions for our client to review. It seems by default, the Is Reconciled field is forced to be true. Is there a way to change that so that all transactions go to a Google sheet?

Hi ​​​@TiffConsults, welcome to the Community! 😁

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve moved your question out into a new topic here since it doesn’t directly relate to the resolved bug that was being discussed in the previous topic. 

Looking into this I came across another bug for Xero where the New Bank Transaction trigger isn’t triggering for unreconciled transactions. It seems you also reached out to our Support team about this and they’ve added you to that same bug report. I can’t give any sort of estimate as to when it will be fixed but adding you to it does help to increase it’s priority and allow us to notify you by email the minute it’s resolved. 

In terms of a workaround, it would likely be the same as the potential workarounds I shared previously in the other thread. I’ll reshare those here in case it’s helpful:

In the meantime, perhaps you could use Webhooks to subscribe to new bank transaction webhook events from Xero? I had a quick look and found that Xero has a guide on how to set up webhook notifications here: Xero - Creating a webhook. If there’s no option available for subscribing to new bank transactions though, perhaps you could set up a polling webhooks trigger that uses their GET BankTransactions endpoint instead? 

You can find out more about how to set up a Webhooks trigger in a Zap to receive those webhooks from Xero: 

Please note that Webhooks only supports basic authentication methods. So if Xero’s API requires more advanced authentication like Oauth then you’d need to build a private integration with Xero on our Developer Platform which is a bit more advanced. We do have certified Zapier Experts that could help build it for you though.

Alternatively, if you’re able to get an email notification sent to you whenever a new bank transaction takes place that contains the necessary details perhaps you could forward those emails to Email Parser by Zapier and use them to trigger the Zap instead? See Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails for details. 

Hopefully that will help to get your Zaps triggering on unreconciled transactions while a fix for this bug is still being worked on. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime please do let me know!