Best answer

Xero error: Invoice Type must be specified. A Contact must be specified for this type of transaction.

• 10 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I have successfully got our orders coming into xero from shopify but it does not bring the shipping costs.  I found an old article suggesting to use “Add item to existing sales invoice in xero” however I get an error.  The email notification from Zap is “A validation exception occurred, Invoice Type must be specified, A Contact must be specified for this type of transaction” however Contact and Invoice Type are not an option in this new Zap section ‘Add tiem to existing sales invoice in xero”.  All old forum topics are no longer available.

Can anyone help with what Im doing wrong or even point me in the direction if I should be trying another method.

Thanks heaps.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 11 July 2023, 12:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @brixton4x4

Does the invoice the Zap is attempting to add the line items to already have the Invoice Type and Contact set?

If so, it could be that the error is due to it not able to find the correct invoice. I’ve seen cases in the past where that error occurred as the invoice’s number, rather than it’s ID number had been selected in the Invoice field. Is that the case here?

In which case, can you try selecting the Invoice ID (which is much longer and contains letters and numbers) instead of the (much shorter number) invoice number? 

If that’s not the case, can you share a screenshot showing what fields and settings have been selected in the Action section of that Add Items to Existing Sales Invoice action? I’d like to take a look at that to see if there’s anything else on the setup that might be causing the issue here.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the feedback.  I totally understand what you are saying and I see how that could work. However, I see now that this wont fix my issue.  I am trying to get my shopify shipping to come into xero on the invoices it creates.  However, I cant work out how to get it.  Ive watched videos and read forums and I cant find any solutions.  Do you have any ideas on how to get the shipping into Xero?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @brixton4x4,

Thanks for the additional details.

Before we dive deeper, would you mind doing us a favor? It would be incredibly helpful if you could share a screenshot of your "Add Items to Existing Sales Invoice" step. This will allow us to take a closer look and see if all the fields are mapped correctly.

Sharing the screenshot will enable us to provide you with more accurate guidance and ensure that everything is set up just right.

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi

I have attached the screenshots of the original Zap (1 & 2) and of the new invoice zap (3), plus a loom video.

I understand the connection with the invoice ID. But as mentioned, I dont know how to get the shipping from the shopify order into xero.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @brixton4x4,

Thank you for sending over a very detailed video explanation.

The shipping cost/price isn't a supported field in Xero yet, there's an open feature request to add support for that field in Xero. I've added your contact information as another vote to this addition. While I don't have an ETA on when and if this feature might be implemented, we'll let you know via email once it is.

In the meantime, the workaround to add a shipping cost/price to an invoice is by adding a "Add Items to Existing Sales Invoice" step after the "Create Sales Invoice" step.

For you to be able to map the “Invoice” field in the "Add Items to Existing Sales Invoice" action step since the “Create Sales Invoice” option is greyed out when clicking on the “Invoice” field. You need to test the “Create Sales Invoice” action step first then you can then map the Invoice ID from the “Create Sales Invoice” to the “Invoice” field in "Add Items to Existing Sales Invoice" action step:

529fccee2bb9c9fc59b8841a6d4ee228.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much, this worked!! Amazing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @brixton4x4,

Awesome! I’m glad it worked!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊