Best answer

Wordpress to LinkedIn: Wordpress title with an apostrophe becomes a string of "’"

Userlevel 1

I’m having an issue with the title of my wordpress blog posts integrating to linkedin company update posts with an apostrophe in the wordpress title. The apostrophe turns into a weird string of symbols. The trigger is the “new post in wordpress” module. And the action is the “create company update in LinkedIn (1.8.2)”. They both successfully connect. When I run the test, the title returns like this:

“text: Equipment Doesn’t Make the Production, But It Can Set It Apart.”

And then it posts it as such on LinkedIn. How can I get it to correctly display the title from wordpress to linkedin with apostrophes?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 4 April 2023, 21:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @thrillwave, welcome to the Community!

We need to figure out where the issue with the apostrophe is happening - in the information coming from WordPress or how it’s being sent to LinkedIn.

Could I ask what you see in the information from WordPress? Do you see the apostrophe in the title or ’ ? It would be super helpful if you could share the set up of the Linkedin Step, ie a screenshot of the information in the different fields. Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc.

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

The information from Wordpress is an the apostrophe. The blog posts title in Wordpress is “Equipment Doesn’t Make the Production, But It Can Set It Apart”. I see the apostrophe in the title in Wordpress.

And here are screenshots of all the fields.

What is the issue and how can I rectify?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @thrillwave 

Hopping in, hope I can help!

I looked at the screenshots you sent and noticed that you're using an older version of LinkedIn, and I'm wondering if that might be the case here.

Legacy features may still work as long as they're not yet deprecated. It only means that it is outdated and isn't recommended to be used since the newer features are now added.

Could you make a copy of the Zap, and in the copied version, try switching it to the latest version of LinkedIn and see if it fixes the issue?

I’ll keep an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 1

Hi Brem/Zapier team,

How would I update the  LinkedIn portion? I tried doing it this way, but when I go back in, it still says the 1.8.2 version. I chose the linkedin, not linkin Ads Premium.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @thrillwave 

Here’s a sample video:

1b14f953dad262101e6207333829cd7a.gif

If it won’t show up, I suggest creating a new Zap and try searching for the “LinkedIn” name only.

Userlevel 1

I have tried it again, from scratch creating a new Zap. This is a technical issue in that Zapier is converting apostrophes from Wordpress post titles and bodies into the string “’”. Here are more examples in my screenshots, upon test triggering in the Wordpress trigger module. How/when can this be fixed?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @thrillwave 

Thanks for confirming that.

Could you try it with a different trigger from WordPress? I’m thinking that this is a bug from WordPress but I need more information to isolate the issue.

Looking forward to your response! 😊

Userlevel 1

Sure. Here I used event “updated post” and triggers “published” and “scheduled”

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @thrillwave,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Could you please try adding a Text in Formatter by Zapier (Convert HTML to Markdown) after the trigger step? The set up should look like this:

6bc348d5597929cb71dab53335fd5e1d.png
(view larger)

After that, you would want to remap the “Title Rendered” field with the output of the Formatter step.

0502df3a9544b0d90aa38550ab9b8124.png
(view larger)

Please give that a try and let us know how it goes!

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

I tried that and now the issue is it will not publish an image of the blog post in linkedin. I kept all other settings the same. What’s the issue here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yikes - that’s weird! 😵‍💫

I did some digging and just wanted to run one thing by you. Was the first post that showed the image:

Was that done on LinkedIn 1.8.2? And was the second one (the one that didn’t show the image) was that done using the newest version of LinkedIn?

If so, I think you may be running into old bug that was reintroduced with the latest LinkedIn update. 😔 We generally don’t recommend this (all the latest features and updates are always on the newest version) but may be worth testing the theory? You could make a copy of your zap and then switch the LinkedIn app back to the old version, run through the zap one more time, and if it posts the image we’ll at least have confirmation.

Let us know either way! We definitely want to help get this sorted. 

Userlevel 1

hey it looks like you were correct. i had to go back and use the intial zap with linkedin 1.8.2 and then add the formatter in between the wordpress and linkedin trigger. i couldn’t add it to the zap with the latest linkedin because it wouldn’t allow me to search and and select the old linkedin 1.8.2. I found the 1.8.2 version on a template zap I searched up. when will the new linkedin resolved this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, thanks for double checking and confirming that for me. 🙏🏽

While I don’t have an ETA for a fix, I did add you to the bug report! This will ensure you’re emailed at that time. We’ll also keep the thread updated as well.

I know this isn’t the most ideal news but definitely appreciate you working with us to get to the bottom of it. We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop if there are any changes. 🤞🏽

I’m also going to summarize an answer here for anyone who may stumble on this later.

The solution for the original question (properly rendering an apostrophe) was using a Formatter step to convert HTML to Markdown.

Could you please try adding a Text in Formatter by Zapier (Convert HTML to Markdown) after the trigger step? The set up should look like this:

6bc348d5597929cb71dab53335fd5e1d.png
(view larger)

After that, you would want to remap the “Title Rendered” field with the output of the Formatter step.

0502df3a9544b0d90aa38550ab9b8124.png
(view larger)

From here though OP identified a LinkedIn bug where links containing images won’t show the image in a LinkedIn feed. The above steps should still work for text only posts though.

I hope some of this helps!