Best answer

WordPress error: This auth is expired. Please reconnect it here. Authentication failed. 403 Forbidden

• 19 June 2023
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve had this zap set up for quite some time now and it’s been working fine, but about 3 days ago it started sending me multiple notifications of 403 (Forbidden) errors, and then was auto-disabled.

The zap is to convert new signups on my WordPress site to subscribers to my mailing list on Mailerlite.

(The site uses the Eduma theme from ThimPress, but my support package has expired - and I’m not even sure it’s their issue - so at present I’m trying to fix the problem without their help.)

This is what I get when I go into the zap to try and fix it:

No idea what the endlessly spinning circle at the bottom denotes; maybe it could be part of the problem?

I’ve tried reconnecting the account (multiple times) and I get a 403 error. 

I’m not using Jetpack, so that’s not the issue. I do have WordPress AIO Security but I’ve tried all sorts of changes to the settings and even completely disabled the whole thing, and it’s made no difference.

I’ve spent ages ploughing through help pages, both on the Zapier site and elsewhere, and even asked my host - they suggested I disable the security plugin and replace the .htaccess file with a new one, which I did - but got nowhere.

I’ve restored a backup of the site from a week before the problem started, but still can’t reconnect.

I’ve tried creating a new user called “zapier” with Editor status (as recommended by Zapier; hadn’t seen that before so had been using my own login) and when I try to connect that I get this - the same as with the previous login apart from the “new account” bit:

Where am I supposed to see a permission popup? I haven’t seen one anywhere.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? (Preferably ones that a non-techie can handle!)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 28 June 2023, 08:45

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Lynne!

That’s super frustrating when something breaks when you seemingly haven’t changed anything. I can’t say for certain, of course, but I doubt it’s related to the theme.

Honestly, you’ve done a fantastic job troubleshooting this. When it comes to WordPress (even taking Zapier out of the equation) there are so many moving parts that it can be difficult to track down the culprit when problems arise. I speak from more experience than I’d like to admit 😂

If you’re able to without causing problems, can you try disabling all the plugins (aside from the Zapier plugin, which is required) and then connecting the WordPress account on Zapier?

Who is your web host, out of curiosity? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks Nick for taking the time to respond.

I’m with Hostinger.

The trouble with disabling the plugins is that it’ll break the whole site, and since I’ve already restored a backup from when the zap was working about 10 days ago, surely any plugin updates that might have caused the failure will have been unwound anyway?

WP itself is exhorting me to update to the newest version (currently on 6.0.5, newest is 6.2.2). I normally wait until it updates automatically because I don’t want to be a beta tester - I don’t have the skills to recover if something goes wrong - but it might be worth a try here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Lynne,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I did some digging into our notes and it seems like we have a customer who ran into a similar issue. Here’s how they fixed it:

One user reached out to Wordpress and found out that their ProfilePress plugin was automatically updated and this caused the Zap to no longer be able to connect. Downgrading back to previous version (4.3.1) fixed the connection.

I know the version mentioned on this one is a bit outdated. But could you please try downgrading your WordPress ProfilePress plugin?

Please keep us posted!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the suggestion; I don’t have that plugin, but I do have Paid Memberships Pro, which seems to be roughly equivalent in terms of the purpose served.

But I’ve just tried deactivating that and unfortunately it made no difference, so I don’t imagine that rolling back to an earlier version will help either.

In case it’s any help, the plugins that I have are:

• AIO Security
  • Anywhere Elementor (never used, just came with the theme and I daren’t get rid of it)
  • ARVE Advanced Responsive Video Embedder
  • Elementor
  • Lots of LearnPress stuff (came with the theme, which is why I got that theme)
  • Loco Translate
  • Mailerlite - Signup forms (official) (only subscribes those who fill in the mailing list signup form, not customers of the site, hence the need for Zapier)
  • MathJax-LaTeX (to allow me to use mathematical notation)
  • Paid Memberships Pro
  • Rank Math SEO
  • Redirection
  • Shortcake (Shortcode UI)
  • Site Kit by Google
  • Slider Revolution (used by theme for home page)
  • Thim Core & Thim Testimonials (part of the theme)
  • Updraft Plus - Backup/Restore
  • Widget Logic
  • WooCommerce + WC Stripe Gateway
  • Woody Code Snippets (PHP Snippets | Insert PHP)
  • WP QuickLaTeX (either this one or MathJax is redundant but I can’t remember which!)
  • WPForms Lite
  • Zapier for WordPress

(There were a couple of auto-updates to Rank Math shortly before the problems started, but I’ve tried deactivating it and that didn’t help either.)

Looks like I might have to pay for another six months’ support from the theme provider, and just hope that they’ll sort it even if it isn’t strictly within their remit!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Lynne,

Since a variety of setup issues can prevent WordPress from connecting with Zapier, you may want to try a few different solutions.

• The type of permalink used on the WordPress installation is causing trouble. To change the permalink type:
    • In your WordPress site, go to Settings, then click Permalinks.
    • Click any permalink option other than "Plain" (this is the default option).
    • Click "Save Changes".

Help guide reference: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495969550989#error-expat-or-parsing-0-0

Please give that a try, and keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thanks for this.

I don’t have, and have never had, Jetpack, so no suggestions relating to that are relevant. I’ve tried adding the suggested code to the them’s functions.pho file to whitelist the xmlrpc.php file anyway, but it hasn’t helped.

I’ve also tried changing the permalink option as suggested (though it was already set to one that wasn’t the default, and there was no “Plain” option) but that didn’t help either.

The only thing I haven’t tried is disabling all 30+ of my plugins, which would completely break the website so I’m reluctant to do it.

I don’t know if this setting in WP AIO Security is of any relevance? I’ve tried it both with and without the second box ticked but it’s made no difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Lynne,

Thank you for taking the time to try out the troubleshooting steps I provided.

I was able to dig deeper into this issue, and it turns out you’re running into a known bug with the WordPress integration. Our team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. I've added your email address as another affected user. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track and prioritize fixes
  • Allows us to notify you via email if/when this is fixed

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA, but I’ve added you to the list of users affected by this issue so we can let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thank you for your understanding.

Userlevel 1

That’s excellent news - at least now I know a fix is on the horizon and it’s not something I have to achieve myself! Thanks for letting me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Lynne,

You are most welcome! I’m glad I was able to add you to the open bug report.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post in the Community. We’re always happy to help!

Same issue here, can I also be added to the lisr

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @edwardhigson,

I'm sorry to hear the permalinks change and the Jetpack Protect settings change did not resolve this issue for you.

Can you please share the following details about your WordPress installation?

1. A list of installed plug-ins on your site
  2. The hosting service you use for your WordPress site

Just to make sure we're on the same page, WordPress can be very complex to troubleshoot because each site is so unique. There are many settings that could be causing this issue. Our engineering team is requesting these details so we can better spot patterns and test popular plug-ins to narrow down these issues.

Thanks! 😊

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hi mate, sure

Brand new user to wordpress so only default and zapier plugin installed

hosted with wordpress.com

Returning an error for password  however i’ve changed passwords multiple times to check this and input details are correct - attached error code

Not an xmlrpc issue as default enabled with host

I’m sorry im not tech enough to know whether it is a cloudflare issue but perhaps there could be a problem here with firewalls but im not sure I even use cloudflare?

It may also be an issue around jetpack - the wordpress bot gives this advice (attached) which suggest going into settings then traffic and there will be a zapier setting in the dropdown - there isn’t anything here relating to zapier

OK! I’ve just fixed my issue:

Bloody weird but this is what I did:

If you just go into your account and change your password there ‘like a normal person’ you cannot log into the zapier auth with it

However, if you go into users - change the ‘view’ in the top right corner to ‘classic view’, go into your user, set new password in there and click save - this new password works! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you so much for following up here to share how you solved it @edwardhigson! Really appreciate you taking the time to share this information here. 🙂

@Lynne - can you give the instructions edwardhigson shared here a try and let us know whether that gets things working for you as well? Would love to know whether that solves it for you too! 🤞

Userlevel 1

I assume this is telling me to change the password in the WordPress backend?

I’m with WordPress.org (hosted with Hostinger), not WordPress.com like edwardhigson, so I don’t have quite the same interface and I can’t see a “classic view” option - possibly due to my theme settings, I’m not techy enough to know.

But I’ve tried changing user passwords in the backend, and setting up a new user specifically for the Zapier login, and none of that has worked. (Pretty sure I’d already tried all that previously anyway, but I’ve just had another go to make sure.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for giving that a try, @Lynne. I’m so sorry that it didn’t work.

I think as you say, it could very likely be due to you using a self-hosted version of WordPress not WordPress.com. So I think in your case you’re going to need to wait for a fix to be implemented. But we’ll keep an eye on things in the meantime and if we come across any reports of workarounds that would work for self-hosted versions of WordPress I’ll be sure to share them with you right away!

Userlevel 1

I’m also on Hostinger and it’s not working for me either, the whole reason I registered here :/ 

Reading the comments on the plugin page its overwhelmingly people saying it doesnt work, so surely this should be a priority to fix it faster than a month?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear that @DaveThailand.

I really wish I could give an estimate on when it will be resolved by but I don’t have that information available to share unfortunately. I’ve added you to the list of affected users so we’ll be in touch as soon as a fix is in place. 

any update on this bug?  I really want to use this connection method, can’t believe its been broken for a year. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out here, @dbrewer! 👋 

I’ve just checked on the bug report again and there’s no updates to share on this at present. I’ve added you to the list of affected users so you’ll definitely be notified once it’s fixed.

Thanks for everyone’s patience here in the meantime, I know how frustrating this must be. We’ll be sure to share any news or additional workarounds we come across here so you’re all kept in the loop! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB , 

Please add me also to the list of Hostinger - Wordpress - Zapier integration issue.

Same issue, not able to connect thru admin password or application password. Thanks.

Regards,

Lumacx

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Lumacx. 🙂 

I’m so sorry you’re running into the same issue. I’ve added you to the list of affected users, so you will get an email notification from us as soon as it’s been resolved.

Userlevel 1

Hi there, @Lumacx. 🙂 

I’m so sorry you’re running into the same issue. I’ve added you to the list of affected users, so you will get an email notification from us as soon as it’s been resolved.

Thank you @SamB 

Hi @SamB 
Add me to this list as well. 

Have been trying to connect WP websites hosting is https://synergywholesale.com/.
Used all the methods as mentioned in multiple threads but no luck.

Using these plugins
https://prnt.sc/yP2NKlpypUYo

Please update ASAP.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @Julian.eve! 👋

Thanks for sharing those details here. I’ve gone ahead and added you to the list as well. Still no word on when this will be resolved by but we’ll be in touch by email as soon as it’s sorted.