Question

WordPress error: Getting 500 critical error

• 20 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Zapier can’t connect to one of my wordpress sites, hosted on wpengine. Works fine with several other sites.

I have tried disabling a reactivating all relevant plugins, tried the legacy integration, tried creating a Zapier user account on the wordpress, whitelisted AWS IP ranges and a lot of other stuff.

Im getting the error 500 critical error after the login prompt and never pops up anything about permissions.

Can anyone relate or suggest something?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Anders Nedergaard!

It sounds like you’ve already tried most of what I would suggest. 

I expect that you’ve already looked at this, but just in case, here’s what this help guide suggests about 500 errors:

In order to connect to WordPress, you must have XML-RPC functionality turned on. This is turned on by default in WordPress 3.5+. If you're having issues connecting, go to Settings > Writing > Remote Publishing and check the checkbox.

You may also receive this error if your WordPress installation is secured and not publicly available. Unfortunately, the installation must be publicly accessible to work with Zapier.

Also, we're unable to provide IPs to allowlist as our IPs are not static - they rotate because we use AWS. If you'd like, you should be able to allowlist a block of IPs from AWS to make this work. You would just need to make sure the list you're allowing is the us-east-1 IP range.

AWS provides a list of their IP address ranges at https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json. You can read more about how to use those IPs here.

Additionally, Zapier's calls will always include the header User-Agent: Zapier, so this may be an alternative when allowing a whole range of IPs isn't feasible.

If you’ve tried that and are still having trouble, I’d recommend getting in touch with the Support team using the Get Help form, as they will be able to look at the logs for your Zap to see if there’s a clue hidden in the messages we’re exchanging with WordPress. 

I’m sorry that I don’t have a definite answer for and I hope that helps!