Question

why it trigged when there's no data in the column

• 29 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I don't know why it trigged when there's no data in the column in the google sheet

I'm using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row event on Google Sheets

and I set up the Trigger Column$D

Column D continues to trigger even though there is no data

I wasted too much money. I'd appreciate your help

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jayden kim 

Help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Specifically this article: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/21613239711117-Google-Sheets-triggers-unexpectedly-or-too-soon

Symptoms

Your Zap runs, and as a result, subsequent steps of your Zap were missing or had incomplete information.

Cause

This can happen for two reasons:
  • New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger: You use this trigger in your Zap and have selected Any column to monitor. This means that any change to a row will trigger your Zap, even if it is a minor change, like a blank cell being filled in.
  • New Spreadsheet Row trigger: You use this trigger in your Zap, and Google Sheets is autosaving while still filling out a row. This can cause incomplete data to be sent to other steps in your Zap.

How to fix it

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
  • Update the Trigger column. If you're using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger, select a specific column to monitor instead of Any. This will ensure that your Zap only triggers when there are changes to the column you have selected.
    • You can also add a column called "Send to Zap" to your spreadsheet. When you want the Zap to run, you can update that column.
  • Update the Google Sheet row at the same time. If you're using the New Spreadsheet Row trigger, try to enter data for the entire row at the same time. This will prevent Google Sheets from autosaving while you are still filling out the row.
    • If you can’t add data for the row at the same time, switch to using the New or Updated Spreadsheet trigger and specify a column that will trigger when the Zap runs.
miscEye icon Note
You can add a filter to avoid the Zap triggering on blank rows.

내가 특정 열을 선택했어요 

해당 열에는 데이터가 없지만 트리거되었습니다.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jayden kim 

The Zap trigger being used is New OR Updated Row. (both)

That means the Zap will trigger for NEW row OR when a row is UPDATED.

If you only want to trigger for updated rows, then add a Filter as Step 2 to check conditions.

You can add a filter to avoid the Zap triggering on blank rows.