Question

Webflow error: The app returned "ValidationError: Validation Failure."

• 28 May 2023
  • 3 replies

This has been asked many times, none of the answers work. Asking once more for this basic feature will at least amplify the spotlight on this long standing zapier issue..

How can I use Zapier to set a reference field (essentially a select field pulling its selects from another collection) in Zapier?

This relates to the helpful error message:
The app returned "ValidationError: Validation Failure".

• Sending the exact text of the reference field name does not work.
  • Unfortunately, there is not much else that can be tried.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @ODW,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please share a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, the “reference” field that you’re referring to? This will help me take a closer look into the issue.

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks! 😊

@ken.a Thanks for the reply. I can describe exactly how to reproduce the issue.

1. Webflow form with select field options: ‘Red’ ‘Blue’
  2. Webflow collection: ‘Color’ with Collection Items named: ‘Red’ ‘Blue’
  3. Webflow collection: ‘Hats’ with reference field set to the collection: ‘Color’
  4. Use form in 1 and Zapier to create an item with a valid ‘Color’ in the ‘Hats’ collection

There is no need to screenshot anything. If this can be done then zapier is not broken and its a config issue. I think its more likely that there is a bug in the way zapier tries to fill a reference field in a webflow collection, or the method to do so is very unintuitive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @ODW,

Thanks for the additional details.

Looking more into this, and it seems like this could be a possible bug. To confirm and resolve it, I recommend reaching out to our friendly Support team. They will be able to take a closer look at the backend logs and provide a thorough investigation.

To contact our Support team, please visit this link: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Thank you for your understanding!