Skip to main content
Question

Utilities in Formatter by Zapier - Lookup Table isn't working

• 26 June 2024
  • 1 reply

• I have a table with two fields
  • I wish to simply use one field to find the value in the other
  • The source are line item values (Formatter step)
  • The lookup appears to work however it returns the row number, not a field value from the table

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @McHenry, welcome to the Community! 😁

Ah, it’s not actually returning a row number that’s the number for the blank line item it’s returned. Looking at the line item data it’s receiving (GST and GST Free) neither of those line item values contain the word gstData which is why it’s not finding a match: 

8fb3a435ae6a1da8b88967d51ace8f54.png
And as no fallback value has been set it’s returning two empty line items. A lookup table will search the input to find a match for the keys (added on the left hand side) and return the value (that’s on the right hand side). For example if you wanted to output the value “InvoiceNinja” when a line item contains the word “GST” and output “A different value” when there’s a value of “GST Free” you’d set it up like so:

a7277c53873dc927ea7a64d541ee7738.png
That would give you two line item values as shown below if the values GST and GST Free are passed into the lookup table:
7c9e3d932be7a5942b5bf80167140100.png

That said, I see you’ve tagged Zapier Tables as one of the apps relating to this issue. But I’m not seeing any Zapier Tables actions in the screenshots of your Zap set up. So is it that you’re wanting to use the Formatter (Utilities > Lookup Table) action to search a Zapier table?

If so, you’ll want to try using a Find Record (Zapier Tables) action instead:
a1ccbd24619c34b7dca4f56e0e930376.png

That action will allow the Zap to lookup a single row in the Zapier table and return all the information it contains.

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If I’ve misunderstood or you run into any trouble on that do let us know! 🙂