Question

Using unofficial WhatsApp and leaking my personal information

• 21 March 2024
  • 1 reply

I've recently encountered a significant concern that I believe needs immediate attention. In my search for a dependable way to engage with my customers via WhatsApp, I stumbled upon what appears to be unauthorized services hosted on Zapier. Understanding that Zapier values privacy and security, I was surprised and concerned to discover services that access user correspondences in a way that is explicitly prohibited by WhatsApp.

Upon further investigation, I realized the necessity to verify the authorization of each service to use WhatsApp, which is when I discovered two services operating without apparent permission from Meta. This discovery raises a critical question: How many more such services might be present on Zapier?
I have to further check each service to make sure they actually have permission from Meta to work with WhatsApp. And how big was my surprise when I found 2 pirated services.
Here they are:
- whatsable
- 2chat

How can I not worry about the security of my data if you provide a pirated version of WhatsApp?

The presence of these services not only worries me regarding the security of my personal and sensitive data but also makes me question the overall integrity of the applications hosted by Zapier. Unauthorized access and modifications introduced by these services pose a direct threat to user data security and could potentially have far-reaching negative consequences, eroding the trust we place in Zapier's ecosystem.
I am bringing this issue to the forum as a formal complaint and call for immediate action. Ensuring the security of user data and the integrity of the services offered should be a top priority.

Transparency and swift action are crucial in maintaining trust and security within the Zapier community. I look forward to a detailed response from the Zapier team, outlining the steps being taken to resolve this pressing issue.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @Rishima, welcome to the Community! 👋

Thank you so much for flagging this issue in the Community, it’s much appreciated. I’ve passed your concerns regarding the WhatsAble and 2chat apps over to the app review team so this matter can be investigated further.

For confidentiality reasons we won’t be able to publicly share any details or updates regarding the status of the team’s investigations into this. But I can confirm that if either of those apps are found to be in violation of Meta’s terms of service we will take any necessary actions as swiftly as possible.

Thanks again! If there’s anything else I can assist with please do let me know. 🙂