Best answer

URL Encode decodes back in ActiveCampaign

• 24 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I need to endcode a text like 123#name for use in URLs. No problem so far. I get 123%23name

Then I want to update a custom field in ActiveCampaign using the output of the encoding. But it always decodes back! In AC I get 123#name.

Even if I put an URL in front like: https://zapier.com/coupon=123%23name I get https://zapier.com/coupon=123#name in AC. Which is obviously not working.

I don’t have these problems if I export the URL to Google Sheet. But I need it in AC.

The workaround to export it first to Google Sheet and then to AC doesn’t work either.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 24 January 2023, 19:33

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Sandra Hoffmann!

Hmm, that doesn’t sound right. 

Could you share a screenshot of the set up of the ActiveCampaign step in the Zap showing the field in question? 

Also, if you haven’t already, a good place to start investigating is to look at the data in and data out of the ActiveCampaign step in the Zap history. The data in will show you what Zapier sent to ActiveCampaign and the data out will show the information that ActiveCampaign sent back to us to confirm what happened. That will show you if the issue is the information being sent or something that happens when it reaches ActiveCampaign. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Sandra Hoffmann!

Hmm, that doesn’t sound right. 

Could you share a screenshot of the set up of the ActiveCampaign step in the Zap showing the field in question? 

Also, if you haven’t already, a good place to start investigating is to look at the data in and data out of the ActiveCampaign step in the Zap history. The data in will show you what Zapier sent to ActiveCampaign and the data out will show the information that ActiveCampaign sent back to us to confirm what happened. That will show you if the issue is the information being sent or something that happens when it reaches ActiveCampaign. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Custom field - Data out
Custom field - Data in

Hi @Danvers 

thanks for your answer!

I am still setting the zap up so there is no history yet.

See screenshots attached. I used the data from google sheet but it doesn’t make any difference. Even if I type in the correct URL + URL encoded text from the formatter step. It’s always wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sandra Hoffmann 

AC might be decoding encoded values.

Try reaching out to AC Support about this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Sandra Hoffmann 

AC might be decoding encoded values.

Try reaching out to AC Support about this.

Hi Troy!

That's what I assume too! I've already contacted them. They seemed as surprised as me. 😅

Even if it's just plain text it decodes it…

I'll keep you posted! I was so happy about the URL encode step and now it's not working with AC. 🤪

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sandra Hoffmann 

Perhaps avoid using those special characters in the coupon code?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

That's something I can't guarantee. The coupon codes are created out of first name and the contact ID. In-between I use the hashtag.

But even without me using a special character it sometimes happens to be there.

If the lead comes in through FB lead ads it sometimes has special characters inside the name already.

I also use the hashtag as a divider in a formatter step in another Zap. That's why I really like to use it.

Let's wait and see what AC says.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still waiting for an answer from AC...