Question

Unmapped fields seem to be deleting information already in a cell on a spreadsheet...

• 26 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a Google Sheet that contains formulas in some of the columns.  When creating a zap to pull information into this spreadsheet and I have purposely not mapped the these fields and left them blank to ensure the formulas already in those cells remain and can work once the information in other fields is populated by the zap.  However, by not mapping these fields it is still overwriting the formulas by overwriting them with no information.  Almost as if by not mapping the field its inputting a blank which overwrites the information already there if that makes sense.

Has anyone else come across this?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Sarah - ACH,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please send a screenshot of the “Action” section of the Zap that shows all of its fields. Here’s an example screenshot:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks! 😊

Thanks Ken - I hope these screenshots help 😊

There are quite a lot of mapped fields but the ones I have not mapped are the ones relating to Engineers and the telephone numbers.  Those columns in the spreadsheet contain formulas but this zap is adding a blank response in cells for those columns and overwriting the formulas in the spreadsheet.  It would be great if I could tell it not to map these if possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Sarah - ACH 

To be clear, in Google Sheets the formula does not apply on empty rows or any newly created row UNLESS you drag the formula all the way down in the sheet. This is why I would suggest you use something more advanced like Airtable to do something like this. Unlike Google Sheets, Airtable formula fields will apply to the full column (field). 

That being said, try one of the following: 

1. Drag the formula all the way down in the sheet. 
  2. Recreate the formula in the cell in Zapier. You would write it as you would write it inside Google Sheets.

Thank you for this - I had already done this in Google Sheets and dragged the formula all the way down in the sheet. 

I’m not sure if it would work by recreating the formula in the cell in Zapier. Obviously when I drag the formula down through the Google Sheet it automatically updates formula so it looks at the correct cell in the correct row but if I put the formula in Zapier wouldn’t it be a repetitive formula.

Not sure if I’ve explained myself very well 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes I understand dont worry 😃

Well, regarding the formula, you wouldnt type the column id in Google Sheets, you would actually do it with the values you are receiving in the Zap. 

Another solution would be to use another step to Update the row after it is created with the formula