Question

Unable to view or download the file in Gmail: "The file could not be opened."

Hello, 

When I add an attachment using a dropbox url the zap sends the message but I am unable to view/download the file in the test email. I get a message that says “The file “...” could not be opened.”

I’ve tried many different files and I get the same message. Can someone please help me figure out how to attach a file to gmail? My zap is being triggered from google sheets to send an email to someone requesting a guide from my website. 

Thank you in advance. 

Neal

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @NealS,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the Zap. Before we dive deeper, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of your Zap's configuration and the fields involved?

Also, I would appreciate seeing the mapped field in the "Attachment" section of your Gmail step. To give you an idea, here's an example screenshot of the information I'm looking for:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks! 😊

Thank you for your help. I’ve attached some screenshots below. The zap works in that I get the email with the content if the email. It is just that I can not open the attachment. 

Thank you again 

Neal

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@NealS Jumping in here to see if I can help! Thank you for the screenshots, taking a look around, I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with your set up, especially since the Zap is running successfully. I do wonder if it is possible the link is broken. Can you please try and copy and paste the link from your Zap into your browser and let me know what the results of that are? Are you aware if that file currently has it’s permissions set up as public or private?

Thank you for your help @chanelle.

I went ahead and copied the url into the browser and it opened with no problem. I was using the file in dropbox and it said it allowed access to anyone with a link. The link I am using is below. 

I tested it again with the same error message. 

Thank you again 

Neal

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn4ziqd0notrf7d/TRI%20Wellness%20Guide-compressed_1.pdf?dl=0

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @NealS 

Try using this direct download link URL (the end was changed to dl=1):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn4ziqd0notrf7d/TRI%20Wellness%20Guide-compressed_1.pdf?dl=1

Thanks @Troy Tessalone. I changed the url and it worked one time. And when I tested it again it gave the same error message. Do you know if there is a limit to the amounts of downloads with that url you provided?

Thanks

Neal

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NealS 

We’d need to see a new screenshot with how your Zap steps is configured.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone. They are exactly as they are above. I just changed the URL to the one you gave me. 

Would you need anything specific in the Zap steps not mentioned above?

Thanks again for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NealS

Try turning the Zap ON and testing, then check the Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

It should not encounter the error if the Zap step is configured correctly.

Otherwise, we’ll need to see a screenshot of the encountered error from the Zap step.

@Troy Tessalone, Thanks. I will give it a test and try some emails to see what happens. Appreciate the help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @NealS! There’s also this blog post that mentions another way to generate a Dropbox direct download link. 

Might be worth giving a shot! Let us know. 🙂