Skip to main content
Best answer

Unable to update invoice date in QuickBooks Online despite successful previous steps

• 1 July 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi - I cannot seem to get the “update invoice” to work properly in my Zap.  All previous steps are successful, including the “find invoice” step just before it.  I’m only trying to update the invoice date, however, I actually cannot get any update to push through.  I am identifying the invoice by using the ID from the previous step, and the date formatting is as shown.  What am I missing?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @amberACS 

For us to have more context about the error, post screenshots with how your Zap step is configured in EDIT mode for the ‘Action’ tab section.

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@amberACS 

From the screenshots, these are the only 2 fields that appear to be set, but nothing related to a date field.

See required fields for a sparse update to an invoice per the QBO API docs: https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbo/docs/api/accounting/all-entities/invoice#sparse-update-an-invoice

Userlevel 1

Let’s try that again!  Here are the date fields I am trying to update.

Earlier had removed these and ONLY put “test” in the “message on invoice” field and even that would not push through, just in case it was something with my dates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@amberACS 

Dates look fine.

I think other fields expect values to be populated when updating a QBO invoice.

See required fields for a sparse update to an invoice per the QBO API docs: https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbo/docs/api/accounting/all-entities/invoice#sparse-update-an-invoice

Userlevel 1

These fields listed in Business Rules are all populated on my invoice.   The QBO API is hard for me to understand, i’m not a programmer.  I just want to update the INVOICE DATE.  I don’t actually see that listed.  I tried to just update the DUE DATE and that doesn’t work either. 

I see this

So I fed through this and still get the same error

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@amberACS 

In order to update the invoice, the existing data points that are required by the API docs need to be populated again on the Zap step for QBO Update Invoice.

Userlevel 1

That was it!  I finally got it working.  Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @amberACS! A huge thanks to Troy for lending a hand and pointing you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗