Question

Unable to set up Xero automation without access to bank accounts and payroll

• 23 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi all, 

Someone did ask this a couple of years ago, but as the post has been closed, I thought I’d reopen it! I’m setting up various automations between Xero and other office systems, but am stumped because the system requires at least a Standard Role - which would allow me access to the Bank Accounts and Payroll, which is information I shouldn’t be privy to. Is there anyway anyone has found around this? 

I was wondering about whether if we moved to a Team Sub and I could set up the automation and then it be authorised by a Team member - but then if that would give me access to his credentials all the time, it would defeat the whole point of the exercise (and we couldn’t do it). 

Just hoping someone has some thoughts other than: Create an entirely new account under the FC’s names and credentials and have to manage and provide support by remote control :( 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RayC99 

Good question.

For reference these are the available help articles for using the Xero Zap app: https://zapier.com/apps/xero/help

Perhaps trying reaching out to Xero Support for guidance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @RayC99! 👋

Unfortunately the Xero app requires either Standard or Adviser level access to perform actions via the Xero API.

Perhaps you could share a template for the Zap you’ve built so that they can then use to set it up with their own account details. The Zap and app account connection would then in be their own Zapier account so that would avoid the issue of you having access to their bank and payroll information.

You can learn more about how to do that here: Share a template of your Zap

Otherwise, if you were on a Team or Company plan you could have your teammate connect the relevant trigger/actions to their own account and keep them private rather than share the connection with you: Share app connections with members of your account