Question

Unable to select OneDrive Excel file as Zap trigger: No options available for Spreadsheet

• 20 June 2023
  • 6 replies

There is a shared folder in my Google Drive that was shared with me by a coworker.

Inside that folder is an excel spreadsheet.

When I go to create a Zap Trigger,  I select OneDrive as the Storage Source

Zapier populates the shared folder (called COMM5) as a selectable option for the Folder.

But when I go to choose a value for the Spreadsheet it says “No options available”.

I have tried entering the ID as a custom value. I have tried entering the path as a custom value. 

I have tried entering the file link as a custom value. I have tried entering the file name. Each returns it’s own error when I proceed to test (such as Object Handle is invalid).

How do I find the excel file so that I can add it as the Spreadsheet and ultimately add the Worksheet for triggering?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @MikeM M,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I apologize for the trouble with the Zap. Before we dig deeper into this, I would need a bit more information and some screenshots if possible.

• Could you please confirm if you have the necessary permissions to access the Excel file in the shared folder? Sometimes, access issues can cause the file not to appear in the options.
  • Could you provide a screenshot of the error message you receive when you try to enter the ID, path, file link, or file name as a custom value? This could help in identifying the exact issue.
  • Could you also provide a screenshot of the settings you're using when setting up the Zap Trigger? This would help me understand the steps you're taking and potentially identify any issues.
  • Lastly, could you please confirm if the Excel file is stored in Google Drive or OneDrive? You mentioned selecting OneDrive as the Storage Source but the file is in a Google Drive folder. This could potentially be causing the issue.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Sorry about that! For starters, it is indeed in OneDrive, not Google Drive😫.

• Could you please confirm if you have the necessary permissions to access the Excel file in the shared folder? Sometimes, access issues can cause the file not to appear in the options.
    • Yes, I do have permissions to access the Excel file in the shared folder and can edit the file without issue.
  • Could you provide a screenshot of the error message you receive when you try to enter the ID, path, file link, or file name as a custom value? This could help in identifying the exact issue.
    • The first image is using the sheet ID. 
    • The second image is using the sheet name.

• Could you also provide a screenshot of the settings you're using when setting up the Zap Trigger? This would help me understand the steps you're taking and potentially identify any issues. 
    • Here is that screen shot.

Thanks for your help looking into this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @MikeM M,

Thanks for the additional screenshots and information! I really appreciate it.

Looking at the screenshot, it seems like you’re using a spreadsheet that has the .xlsm file extention. Unfortunately, only .xlsx files are supported. Files with the .xls extension (or .xlsm for Excel files with Macros initiated) will not work.

Is there any way for you to convert the .xlsm file to .xlsx?

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction! 😊

Hello Ken,

Unfortunately, the file must be .xlsm as it has important macros it needs to run.

Strangely enough, I was previously able to run zaps from a .xlsm file when it was on my desktop

It was only after I put it into OneDrive did Zapier no longer recognize(find) the file.

I have run some other tests.

Zapier has no problem finding and running a Zap from other folders within OneDrive, even if it is the same .xlsm file I was having trouble with previously.

So the issue has been isolated to the fact that when the file is in  shared folder within OneDrive, Zapier will not find the file. 

Because I can access that shared OneDrive folder, is there some sort of additional “sharing” we have to do with the shared folder to grant Zapier access?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @MikeM M - I did some digging and it looks like unfortunately we don’t have the ability to trigger off shared OneDrive folders, I’m sorry about that 😕. I do have a workaround from an expert in the Community if you’d like to give that a go: 

Sorry I don’t have better news here. Hope you can find a workaround that works for you in the meantime! 

Best, 

Rachael